linux-image-5.4.0-71-generic breaks cifs

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MysticRyuujin
Level 1
Level 1

linux-image-5.4.0-71-generic breaks cifs

Post by MysticRyuujin »

So I'm not sure what the appropriate way to report this is...

I have a cifs share that is a Windows DFS Share:
/etc/fstab:

Code: Select all

//domain.lan/DFS  /mnt/DFS  cifs  _netdev,vers=3.0,nounix,noserverino,iocharset=utf8,credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,dir_mode=0770,file_mode=0775,gid=sambashare  0  0
And it works perfectly fine when I boot into any of my previous kernels, but as soon as I updated to linux-image-5.4.0-71-generic - it stopped working. Reverting back to the previous kernel and it works again. I tested this by booting different kernels from the grub menu.

I've already removed inux-image-5.4.0-71-generic from my system and told it to ignore that specific update, but I thought I'd at least try to report it somewhere...

Cheers!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: linux-image-5.4.0-71-generic breaks cifs

Post by SMG »

MysticRyuujin wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:33 pmSo I'm not sure what the appropriate way to report this is...
To report bugs on kernels:
  • Open Update Manager.
  • Select Edit > View Kernels and click Continue.
  • Click 5.4 in the left pane if it is not selected. You will now see all the possible 5.4 kernels in the right pane.
  • Click on one you have installed. You will now see several links and the top one will be "Bug Reports"
  • Clicking "Bug Reports" opens a web page which has all the bugs reported so far on that specific kernel. If your issue is not listed, you can click the button/link in the upper right of the page to create a new bug report.
Here are the Bugs for 5.4.0-71. I see there is one for CIFS DFS entries not accessible with 5.4.0-71.74-generic. You can read through the posts to see if anything there might help and/or to keep track of when the fix might be made available.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: linux-image-5.4.0-71-generic breaks cifs

Post by SMG »

MysticRyuujin wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:33 pmI've already removed inux-image-5.4.0-71-generic from my system and told it to ignore that specific update
The change made in 5.4.0-71 will be reverted back to what it was in the upcoming 5.4.0-73 kernel.
Changelog for the upcoming 5.4.0-73 kernel has the following included:
* CIFS DFS entries not accessible with 5.4.0-71.74-generic (LP: #1923670)
- Revert "cifs: Set CIFS_MOUNT_USE_PREFIX_PATH flag on setting
cifs_sb->prepath."
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Installation & Boot”