[SOLVED] How to Mount HD with Linux

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] How to Mount HD with Linux

Post by Oskar1224 »

In the attached 3 pictures, the first in my 250GB SATA HD where Cinnamon 20.1 is installed and all is working well with this HD

The second picture is an IDE 150GB HD which presently has nothing and looks like it’s a data only disk. The third picture is a similar HD but its only 80GB.

I would like to install Mate 20.1 for comparison with the Cinnamon on the second HD (150GB) and that’s where I have a problem because I’m very new to Linux and I don’t know how to change the boot record and format.

If I use the terminal and I issue this command

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdb

would I be able after to install Mate from the DVD I have?
do I have to format the HD after and which format?
is there a better way?
1HD_250GB.png
2HD_150GB.png
3HD_80GB.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nicolas
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: How to Mount HD with Linux

Post by spamegg »

Yes, you can install MATE from the DVD. The installation will format the HD as Ext4. During the installation choose "Something Else" option, format the 150GB HD, add the mount point / to it, and choose it for installation. After that your GRUB menu should have both Cinnamon and MATE.
bodge99

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

You could also reduce the size of 'sda5' by 50%. This would leave approx. 116GB that you could install your second Mint to.
You could then format your other drives to Ext4 and use them as storage or backup for both Mints.

FYI.
I'm unsure from the screenshots, but If you have a Legacy system.. then you don't need the EFI partition or have the Mint partition within an extended partition.
If you have a UEFI system then you do need the EFI partition..but not an extended partition. (There is no 4 primary partition limit on a GPT drive, for example).

As your system is working O.K. then don't worry about this now.. just be aware that this is slightly non-standard.
If you would like to "sort this" before you go any further, then just ask here.

Bodge99
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

spamegg wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:25 am Yes, you can install MATE from the DVD. The installation will format the HD as Ext4. During the installation choose "Something Else" option, format the 150GB HD, add the mount point / to it, and choose it for installation. After that your GRUB menu should have both Cinnamon and MATE.
Thank you for the help but you did not answer my questions. However I learned from your post to use "Something Else" which I did and format my 150GB to the mount point /. That was important for me to learn.

But although the Mate install went ok, after reboot Mate was nowhere to be found. The BIOS menu had only one entry for the 250GB where the Cinnamon was installed and the Grub menu only had the Cinnamon. But I could see the Mate was installed on the 150GB HD by looking thru Cinnamon at the Gpart utility

I used the command "sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt but I didn't use the "sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdb1 because I though Mate install would do it.
Nicolas
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

bodge99 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:41 pm Hi,

You could also reduce the size of 'sda5' by 50%. This would leave approx. 116GB that you could install your second Mint to.
You could then format your other drives to Ext4 and use them as storage or backup for both Mints.

FYI.
I'm unsure from the screenshots, but If you have a Legacy system.. then you don't need the EFI partition or have the Mint partition within an extended partition.
If you have a UEFI system then you do need the EFI partition..but not an extended partition. (There is no 4 primary partition limit on a GPT drive, for example).

As your system is working O.K. then don't worry about this now.. just be aware that this is slightly non-standard.
If you would like to "sort this" before you go any further, then just ask here.

Bodge99
Very good information here although I do not understand it all. Hard disk space is not important for me at this stage since I have 3 HD’s and that is more than enough for my needs. But later on I will reduce the space.

I do not remember what Legacy system is and the EFI/UEFI I know they are used in the BIOS but I do not remember either exactly what they mean. I will appreciate a brief explanation.

As I mentioned above I did install MATE but I can’t boot into it. So my next step is to format the 150GB HD and try another approach.

My idea is (perhaps I’m wrong) if I disconnect all HD’s except the 150GB and try to install Mate, then I should be able to boot into it assuming Mate will provide the Grub menu.

Then if I can boot into Mate, I can re connect the 250GB SATA where Cinnamon is and at boot time I can select from the BIOS menu (that’s my system menu and not the Linux menu) either the 250GB SATA where Cinnamon is or the 150GB where Mate is. This will avoid having one Grub menu for both OS which I understand it is not a good practice.

Any suggestions will be appreciated
Nicolas
bodge99

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

To test if Linux system is UEFI or Legacy:
In a terminal:

Code: Select all

ls /sys/firmware/efi
If this returns something like this...

config_table  esrt              fw_vendor  runtime-map  vars
efivars       fw_platform_size  runtime    systab
... then you have a UEFI system.

If the command returns...

if "ls: cannot access '/sys/firmware/efi': No such file or directory"
...then you have a Legacy system. Note. Newer machines support both modes. Which one you use is set within your Bios settings.

If you have a choice.. pick one and stick with it. I personally prefer UEFI, other folk prefer Legacy.

Try this:

From a terminal,

sudo update-grub
This should detect both Linux installations and update your local 'grub.cfg' to reflect the changes.
You shouldn't need to alter your boot settings to boot either installations of Mint. Grub should handle everything for you.

Bodge99
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Thank you for your time Bodge99

I will guess I have Legacy but have to wait to run these commands. Yesterday I bought two DDR3 chips to upgrade my RAM from 6 to 8GB (that’s the max) and when I opened the case I noticed the CPU cooling fan was hanging loose from 1 plastic screw, the other 3 were at the bottom of the case broken. Searching, these screws are available from China, 4-6 weeks delivery and not sure if they will fit. Most likely I will have to make my own contraption to fix this problem.

I built the desktop back in 2008 as a hobby project with top quality parts: Asus P5K3 Deluxe/Wi-Fi-AP mother board, Intel Core 2 Duo at 3GHz, SATA & IDE connections, Antec Performance One case with NeoPowerBlue 650W ATX power supply, AMI BIOS.

Originally I had XP Home running the desktop and later went to Vista both quite outdate today. Having Windows10 and 8.1 in my other two laptops the only alternative to use the desktop was Linux and here we are. .
Nicolas
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Got the cooling fan working again, did all the commands and my system is Legacy.

Also did the command to get the Grub menu at start up but still the Mate which was installed on the 150GB HD is not available at boot time
Nicolas
bodge99

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

I know what should be happening with 'update-grub'.. however, the "real world" conditions can sometimes be different.

I'll duplicate your setup here and double check everything..

More later...

Bodge99
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

bodge99 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:40 am Hi,

I know what should be happening with 'update-grub'.. however, the "real world" conditions can sometimes be different.

I'll duplicate your setup here and double check everything..

More later...

Bodge99
Great that you can duplicate the set up. VMs?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
bodge99

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

Yes, you could use a VM..

I'm fortunate enough to have several computers spare that I can use for experimentation or testing purposes. I tend to acquire failed kit from folk around here.. Most of it is repairable (assuming that I can source the failed parts.. board connectors, laptop screens, laptop keyboards, chips etc.). I can do board level repair.. which helps!

I keep some of the better stuff and pass on some of the rest to others.

SWMBO calls me a "hoarder" .. I really don't know why!! ;>)

Bodge99
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Great to know that. Are you in the business ti salvage and resell repaired laptops? What do you do to them once they are repaired?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Very sorry Bodge99, but now I see the Mate desktop.

What is happening when I boot after the BIOS I see the Grub menu and in there I always had 2 main entries (actually there are 4 but the second entry on each is the Advanced options)

I used to click the first entry because the second it was also the Cinnamon and I don’t know why I have 2 Cinnamon entries

Now I decided to click the second entry and on the system info I see it says Mate Desktop 1.24.0

Apologies for creating extra work for you
Nicolas
bodge99

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

No problem at all..

Enjoy!

Bodge99

Return to “Installation & Boot”