Dual boot with Win 10 and RST

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
32bits
Level 1
Level 1

Dual boot with Win 10 and RST

Post by 32bits »

Hi, this is my first post here and hope for some feedback to my installation problem.

I have a 2 year old i7 Win 10 laptop with two fast drives, Win10 is on a 1T SSD MVE PCIe and loads Windows in around 1-2 seconds, the other drive is a SATA SSD and read write times are around 500M/B. I installed Linux Mint on a new partition (100Gbyte) on the 2nd drive after disabling RST in the bios, this all worked OK. Windows will ony work with RST enabled, but wih RST enabled Linux Mint takes 5 minutes to boot, with RST not enabled Linux Mint takes a few seconds. I have noticed afer turning off RST and then back on again in the bios and having Ubuntu set for the first to boot, the Grub menu at boot up has disapeared. I do not know how to get Grub to appear again. For now I have RST enabled and Windows set first to boot in the bios and Windows works OK but with no boot option for Linux Mint. Is it possible to have both opertaing system working wih grub selection and have RST enabled and fast boot times in Linux Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bodge99

Re: Dual boot with Win 10 and RST

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

I assume that you mean Intel Rapid Store Technology ...

I've got this on a couple of laptops.. It was immediately disabled as I've no intention of even "playing" with it. I'm not saying that the tech. is bad.. I just mean that it doesn't fit with the way I work. By this, I mean the ability to move a storage device from one machine to another **if I want to**.

I would assume that Windows cannot find part of its "Raid Array-esque" as your storage devices are detected as discrete devices with RST off.

You can use RST with Linux. See https://help.ubuntu.com/rst/index.html for an Ubuntu document about this.

I've no direct experience with RST but would assume that you would need to install Mint with RST enabled. The slow boot time is probably due to the fact that the RST firmware is attempting to "repair" the array.. and is having problems "understanding" the differing partition layout.

Bodge99
32bits
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 32bits »

Hi bodge99 you are correct RST is Rapid Store Technology, I was not able to complete the Linux Mint installation with RST enabled in the bios, it would not access the partition on my 2nd drive. Once RST was disabled the installation of Mint worked with no problems. I checked in this forum when Mint would not install and the advise was to turn off RST during the installation phase. Does Linux Mint work and support RST?
bodge99

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

I understand that Linux can be installed onto a system that has RST enabled. I've never actually done this as I don't use the tech.

I'll look into this tomorrow..

Bodge99
Baer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Baer »

Hallo everybody,

I have a similar problem on my DELL Latitude 3410, i5-10310U, 8GB DDR4 RAM, and M.2 512GB SSD
I am pretty unexperienced and on my way to learn more about linux and IT all in all.

I tried to install linux mint 20.2 from an USB Device, but when i followed the installation guide it told me to disable RST and gave me the following link https://help.ubuntu.com/rst/. I did as the guide described but when i tried to boot windows again it didnt work anymore so i enabled RST in the bios again and windows works again but i still dont have linux mint installed.

Did somone found a solution on this topic?

All the best
Christoph
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

I think what you should be doing is installing VirtualBox on Windows and then installing Linux as a virtual machine. You won't be messing about with RST, you'll simply boot Windows, and at any time after logging in you can open VB, choose your virtually installed Linux and then 'Start'. If your machine is powerful enough you will be running Windows and Linux simultaneously. At any time, you can shutdown the guest Linux system normally and then use Windows by itself. Generally, if you intend to 'test' Linux rather than use it as a daily driver, it is best to go the virtual machine route rather than mess about with your Windows partitions and your boot order, but you do need to have enough computer to do it. Don't try on a single core with 2mb of ram. An i3, or above with 8GB of ram will be fine.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

On some machines RST is the default setting in bios, Mint won't install whilst that is enabled, I have an Acer Swift laptop and the default is RST, so I had to go into the bios and disable RST and enable AHCI before mint installed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Reddog1 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:34 pm I think what you should be doing is ...
... starting his or her own thread.

Return to “Installation & Boot”