Dangerous updates can be a disaster

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
since2019
Level 3
Level 3

Dangerous updates can be a disaster

Post by since2019 »

mint 19.3 32-bit by the old laptop.
common known issues with this updates (like you can lost your system)

systemd
linux kernel, kernel-firmware, linux-firmware

i don't know if i update mesa va api video acceleration drivers, mint drivers, mintsystem,
ubuntu-drivers-commn, ubuntu-meta,...

cinnamon updates crashed forever in LMDE4, i deleted the system partition.

why put a list of updates... not tested and published? that's so wrong.
why and which updates can be updated without risk?
after some terminal command for latest libreoffice 7.1 an error, not installed. some research, some other command and worked.
im lucky to have that libreoffice update that was not on the list yet?

if you ask the specs with command, read below the signature please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
inxi -Fxz
laptop Kernel: 5.0.0-32-generic i686 bits Cinnamon 4.4.5 Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia TOSHIBA Satellite A135 Dual Core Intel T2080 M Yonah, 800/1733 MHz, Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS Express Integrated Graphics, Drive 111.79 GiB, Memory 0.93 GiB
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Dangerous updates can be a disaster

Post by SMG »

since2019 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:44 pm mint 19.3 32-bit by the old laptop.
common known issues with this updates (like you can lost your system)
Some people with 32 bit installs of LM19 were having issues due to a specific package update and this post (SOLVED)Linux mint 19.1 failing to boot, blinking cursor after logo. has a workaround solution.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

If I'm not mistaken, didn't your signature used to say that you use a laptop from 2007? If my memory is correct, that most likely is the cause of most of your Linux problems. If you are going to use such an old computer, you'd probably be better off with the Puppy Linux distro.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

The specs of that Toshiba do not even began to make the bare bones, minumum requirements of running LM with Cinnamon Desktop...DAMIEN
laptop Kernel: 5.0.0-32-generic i686 bits Cinnamon 4.4.5 Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia TOSHIBA Satellite A135 Dual Core Intel T2080 M Yonah, 800/1733 MHz, Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS Express Integrated Graphics, Drive 111.79 GiB, Memory 0.93 GiB
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:53 pm The specs of that Toshiba do not even began to make the bare bones, minumum requirements of running LM with Cinnamon Desktop...DAMIEN
You can't tell the OP anything. If you tell him he's wasting his time on that machine, he complains that you are wasting his time, then he insults you. I just leave him to it. He seems happy wasting his time.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:57 pm You can't tell the OP anything. If you tell him he's wasting his time on that machine, he complains that you are wasting his time, then he insults you. I just leave him to it. He seems happy wasting his time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSDWzA2LDwU
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

You can't tell the OP anything. If you tell him he's wasting his time on that machine, he complains that you are wasting his time, then he insults you. I just leave him to it. He seems happy wasting his time.
Very true...It is not the updates that are "Dangerous" and "Disasterous" in this particular case...lol...DAMIEN
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

I'm going to disagree with other posters because hardware that works shouldn't go to waste. I run mint 19 Xfce on a 2008 laptop and it works just fine. The problem you are having is almost certainly the result of 2 things--you don't have enough memory to run most Mint desktops, and you've updated your kernel and you really, really should be running a 4.15 kernel.Those that suggest a smaller distro aren't wrong, it just needs to be pointed out that Mint is somewhat of a piggy version of Linux and is not designed for minimum spec systems. You might want to try Mint with Fluxbox if you really want Mint, but Fluxbox is ugly and I hate it, myself. I think Sparky Linux Xfce might run on your hardware and is certainly worth a try. Sparky Xfce isn't ugly and Sparkyt comes with Apt and Synaptic Package Manager, so about any program you would want is at your fingertips. Fallback would be Sparky LMDE if Xfce doesn't want to work with your lack of RAM (Sparky LMDE has a minimum RAM requirement of only 256MB).

https://sparkylinux.org/system-requirements/
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Reddog1 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:14 am The problem you are having is almost certainly the result of 2 things--you don't have enough memory to run most Mint desktops, and you've updated your kernel and you really, really should be running a 4.15 kernel.
More memory and a more recent kernel will not fix his problems, which are all due to his ignoring very good advice to replace his failed HDD, and nothing else.

Return to “Installation & Boot”