[SOLVED]Can't install to hard drive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
davidpcoleman
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]Can't install to hard drive

Post by davidpcoleman »

I had Mint 17.1 on my laptop and it was working fine. I went to prison for 6 years. When I got back, it loaded and worked for about 20 minutes and then freeze.

I backed up everything and dloaded Mint 20.1. I could not get it to boot up. I had been wanting to try Ubantu, so I dloaded ittly. It boots up, but tells me there is a error and may not install correctly. I can run it off the boot disk, but if I try to install, it says error could not install. I have tried many times. I used one of the utilities and formated the disk with no change. I decided to load Windows and start from there. Blue screen of death on 3 different versions.

I like Mint and Ubantu and want to install one or the other. I am now relegated to working off the boot disk which is slow and if I reboot, I lose everthing, or use my backup laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate, which it's favorite saying is "Not Responding"

How can I get one or the other Linux programs to install....been very frustrating
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mihirmishra
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Can't install to hard drive

Post by mihirmishra »

I'm not 100 percent sure but it could be that your Hard Drive is failing. Do you have an extra Hard Drive or SSD? And please tell me your Hardware configuration.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

The installation disc/USB should give you option of testing before installing. That would tell you if your hardware is capable of running Mint 20.
Cliff Coggin
davidpcoleman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davidpcoleman »

Ok. I got Mint to install via USB. I have never installed from a USB. Actually I am on that computer now. All seems fine except that if I go to like you tube or other video site, it will hang up and I will have to shut it down and restart. On a whim, I left it on all night and it was still running this morning.
I have used the diagnostic tools with this computer and had it check memory and the hard drive and said both were 100% good, if you want to believe those tools.

Not quite ready to change this to a SOLVED thread yet. I want to see if it still hangs or not
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

I can't help with that but others will be able to if you if you post details of your installation. See the pimk banner at the top of this and every page.
Cliff Coggin
davidpcoleman
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED]Can't install to hard drive

Post by davidpcoleman »

Sorry I didn't post my configuration. But here is what I have.. It is a Hewlett-Packard and Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon ver. 4.8.6. I have a AMD A4-3305M APU running 4 Gigs of ram with a 500 Gig hard drive. It also has a Advanced Micro Devices graphic card. It's dual-core 2.8. Not sure about the cache on the CPU.

I am marking this as solved. As I said I installed off a USB disk with no problems. It initially locked on me watching You Tube videos (mainly music). I left it on overnight and have used it all day, including You Tube, with no problems. I am now copying files from the Windows computer over to this one. As soon as that is done, I will format the hard drive and install Ubuntu. I liked what I saw on the boot disk, but first used Mint about 10 years ago and want to keep using it. This one with Mint is my main computer.
mihirmishra
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED]Can't install to hard drive

Post by mihirmishra »

I wouldn't suggest to install Ubuntu on this old computer. It takes a lot of resources.

What I would suggest is to format the hard drive and install either Mint 20.1 Cinnamon or XFCE (I would prefer XFCE).

Sorry I was busy with my exams that's why I wasn't able to open the forums.

Return to “Installation & Boot”