Swap current nVME drive to a different computer

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
axrusar
Level 6
Level 6

Swap current nVME drive to a different computer

Post by axrusar »

Hi guys. Here is a peak at my current partitioning on my 1TB nVme drive.

I need to remove the M.2 drive from this laptop and pop it to another absolutely different motherboard on a PC i will build.
My home partition is encrypted and i do have the recovery "passphrase", although i have no clue i will need it here?

I do not expect Grub to be too happy on the new system, so can you guys tell me a bit what steps i should take to avoid trouble?
The windows partitions i do not care, i may actually want to re partition from scratch.
I've used FoxCLone to backup everything just in case.
Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Swap current nVME drive to a different computer

Post by manyroads »

Would you be kind enough to explain what you are trying to accomplish? I know I'm old and slow, but I have no idea what you are trying to do... :oops: If you are simply hoping to read the data files on your new machine, you should be able to do that once it is plugged in. If you are trying to dual boot or run an OS from the new drive.... well that could be a different story.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
SwayWM, i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm
Professional Genealogist & Technologist
(http://eirenicon.org & http://many-roads.com)
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Choose the nvme as the first boot device in bios after swapping and boot. The uuid may have to be adjusted in /etc/fstab to match with

Code: Select all

sudo blkid
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

axrusar wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:28 pm I do not expect Grub to be too happy on the new system, so can you guys tell me a bit what steps i should take to avoid trouble?
Contrary to the other replies, the only thing you need to do is make sure that the destination machine is set for UEFI boot. That can be either UEFI/CSM or just UEFI, but not CSM or Legacy on its own. There is no need to do anything to fstab other than commenting out any mount points that do not belong to the NVMe if the machine has more than one drive. If you do that before removing the drive, it should just boot. You may need to use your UEFI/BIOS boot key, but that will depend on the destination machine's UEFI/BIOS and how its configured to treat NVMes, which are usually, but not always, given priority over SATA devices.

The only reason for commenting out any mount points that do not belong to the NVMe is to prevent a 30 second delay in booting while the OS waits for the mount point to be activated until the 30 second timeout occurs.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

manyroads wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:36 pm Would you be kind enough to explain what you are trying to accomplish? I know I'm old and slow, but I have no idea what you are trying to do... :oops:
Clearly, the poster is trying to move a working drive from one machine to another. It is unnecessary to know what the poster is attempting to accomplish therefore it is none of our business.
axrusar
Level 6
Level 6

Post by axrusar »

Thank you so much guys!!!!
Yes indeed, to clarify, i am getting a new computer that's all :D
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics

Return to “Installation & Boot”