How do I install the low-latency version of 5.8 Kernel?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

How do I install the low-latency version of 5.8 Kernel?

Post by Kendoori »

I updated to 5.8.0-50-generic but had previously been running the low-latency version of 5.4. I don't remember how I installed the low-latency version of 5.4.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How do I install the low-latency version of 5.8 Kernel?

Post by SMG »

Kendoori wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:37 pmI don't remember how I installed the low-latency version of 5.4.
I would guess the command in the image is exactly how you installed the 5.4 low latency kernel. The 5.4 kernel is the LTS kernel for Ubuntu 20.04. The 5.8 kernel is considered the edge version for Ubuntu 20.04 and is only supported through August.

The low-latency kernels are available in Synaptic Package Manager. You could install through there or my guess, based on the naming convention I see in Synaptic, would be
sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency-hwe-20.04
or
sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency-hwe-20.04-edge

Both those packages have the exact same information for Latest Version and Description in Synaptic. (I think hwe=hardware edge.)
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] Re: How do I install the low-latency version of 5.8 Kernel?

Post by Kendoori »

SMG wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:33 pm The low-latency kernels are available in Synaptic Package Manager. You could install through there or my guess, based on the naming convention I see in Synaptic, would be
sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency-hwe-20.04
or
sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency-hwe-20.04-edge
I went with linux-lowlatency-hwe-20.04. And that totally worked. Thank you.

Return to “Installation & Boot”