PC crashes during boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Elawen
Level 1
Level 1

PC crashes during boot

Post by Elawen »

Good evening, I have quite a major problem. I got Ubuntu Serena (18.?) on my pc. Since today it crashes during booting, I see the grub menu, can start in recovery mode, but if I leave it, crash. If I start normal, I get to the mint logo and pc is down. It's completely turned off. Booting via installing CD brings the same result.
I ran a memory test with no errors found. A few days ago I ran some updates from level 1 to 3.
In root level I tried to repair grub but with no effect. Some packages couldn't be gained.

At some point it showed GNU grub version 2.02~beta2 36-ubuntu3.29

Any ideas what I could do? Could it also be a Hardware mistake? But if, which part possibly? Thanks for your help and sorry for the lack of further information. PC does not like me right now :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: PC crashes during boot

Post by JoeFootball »

Elawen wrote: Any ideas what I could do?
Given that support for Linux Mint 18.x has ended, this could be a good opportunity to install a supported version, rather than try to resolve this one. :)
Elawen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Elawen »

I obey :lol:
20.1 was recommended. I'll give it a shot later since I have to download it first..
Thanks!
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Elawen wrote: I obey
You were not commanded. :) My suggestion is what I would do in the interest of efficiency and security. Your decision should be your own.
Elawen wrote:20.1 was recommended.
I'm sure you'll find a version and desktop of Linux Mint that works well for both your hardware and your preferences.

LM 19.x is supported until April 2023, and LM 20.x is supported until April 2025.
Elawen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Elawen »

JoeFootball wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:08 am You were not commanded. :)

;) I got that information from another side too. That's why I remarked 😂
Somehow it went over my head that 18.1 wasn't supported anymore. My fault.

LM 19.x is supported until April 2023, and LM 20.x is supported until April 2025.
Thank you!
Elawen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Elawen »

Well well, it IS a major problem. 😫
I downloaded 20.04, had my Live-Cd and tried to boot from it. Same result. CD checks files, everything fine, CD goes on and pfff, PC shuts off.
I'm at a loss. Could be the hard drive which would be very bad, could be anything. 😪

Can I check via Bios whether the hard drive is down?
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Elawen wrote: ... could be anything.
If it's not shutting down with a live session, it's unlikely the hard drive, but you can test that theory by disconnecting the hard drive, and trying the live session again.

I had a similar symptom once, and it was a failing power supply.
Elawen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Elawen »

JoeFootball wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:23 pm I had a similar symptom once, and it was a failing power supply.
That was one of my first thoughts. Strangely, whatever else I do (searching Bios, memory check etc.) no matter how long, it works fine. Due to circumstances every shop is in lockdown 🙄 so I just can't go there and let it check. I'll get some sleep and think about it 😉

Return to “Installation & Boot”