[ Solved ] Linux Mint 20.1 Mate partition install issues

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jbh911
Level 4
Level 4

[ Solved ] Linux Mint 20.1 Mate partition install issues

Post by jbh911 »

I've installed Linux Mint 20.1 Mate to an ACER Aspire ZC-106 with UEFI: American Megatrends and resulted in
/dev/sda1 EFI System Partition fat32 /boot/efi , and
/dev/sda2 ext4 / - a 469 GB partition.
With LM 20.1 on a USB stick and using GParted I reconfigured /dev/sda2 partition, reducing the / to 35GB and setup the Swap, /home and Snapshot partitions.
Attempted a re-install with / & /home partitions formatted ext4 and selected /dev/sda1 for the Grub location and was presented with a message - this system requires "Reserved BIOS boot area" of 1 MB must be established or a boot failure may result.
An unallocated 1 MB partition appeared. Selected Reserved BIOS boot area from drop down menu and selected Prim & Sec partition but failed to get that partition established. Pressed ahead with the re-installed but the re-boot failed - with grub rescue.
Q1. How do you setup this 1MB "Reserved BIOS boot area" partition?
Q2. How do I recover from the grub rescue position?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint 20.1 Mate partition install issues

Post by SMG »

I'm not sure I understand your reason for installing twice, but it sounds like to me that you did not point the second install to your existing EFI partition? I'm not sure and I may not be the best person to help you with the issue. However, here is a video of installing with UEFI HOW TO INSTALL LINUX MINT 20.1 "ULYSSA" UEFI MODE + GPT 2021 and maybe it will help. (Note the root partition should be at least 30GB (not 20GB as in the video) for LM20.)
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

selected /dev/sda1 for the Grub location
You select the device not the partition, i.e. sda.
this system requires "Reserved BIOS boot area" of 1 MB must be established or a boot failure may result.
I suspect your first error may have confused the installer, this message indicates you are trying to install in legacy mode on a gpt format drive. It wants somewhere to install grub = 1MB partition with the flag bios_grub set.

Delete the bios_grub partition and try again. Install with something else pointing the installer at the partitions you created for / and /home and this time tell it to put grub on sda not sda1.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
jbh911
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbh911 »

Success thanks to SMG & AndyMH. The video is excellent and introduced me to the partition table approach, which I'd steered clear of in the past..
The reason I opted for a re-install was to ensure the /home partition was recognised.
Thanks again, much appreciated, just so easy. :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”