Suspend Not Working

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Suspend Not Working SOLVED!

Post by Oskar1224 »

Blaan wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:40 pm I finally solved the Suspend issue trying to repair the touchpad driver :shock: I am so so happy! I feel a bit embarrassed because all the answers in here were so accurate and professional and I did a kind of workaround... I hope this helps if yours is a driver issue at least!
I took a picture with my Smartphone of the screen just in case I had to modify it back.
Thank you Blaan for your time and efforts however I’m not in the position right now to deal with Grub since my experience with LM is limited and I have many other basic items to learn. In addition the screensaver problem proved to be more difficult than I thought and I don’t concentrate on it any more unless it’s something easy to do.

I have copied your post and I will revisit when I have more experience, not to solve any problem but just to learn how it work.
Nicolas
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Suspend Not Working

Post by SMG »

Oskar1224 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:54 pmHere is the link I got, thanks

https://termbin.com/im2t
Reading through the log, you started the computer just before 11 o'clock. By what process did you suspend the computer? I see no mention of the computer going to sleep.

At 11:39 I see the message Cinnamon is logging out and then the message about powering down the system.

Code: Select all

May 02 11:39:28 nf-P5K3-Deluxe cinnamon-session[914]: WARNING: t+2385.70719s: Playing logout sound '/usr/share/mint-artwork/sounds/logout.ogg'
May 02 11:39:29 nf-P5K3-Deluxe cinnamon-session[914]: WARNING: t+2386.83035s: Requesting system shutdown...
I do not see any errors or issues immediately prior to that time. However, during start-up I noticed two messages about your TV/monitor.

May 02 10:59:37 nf-P5K3-Deluxe kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: failed to create encoder 0/1/0: -19
May 02 10:59:37 nf-P5K3-Deluxe kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: TV-1 has no encoders, removing
It is possible that is the reason the computer is not suspending. I suspect the screen is blanking, but the computer is actually not suspending. Then the screen does not come back from being blanked.

I checked the 5.4.0-72 kernel changelog and I see a reference to a nouveau change in kernel 5.4.0-71.

- drm/nouveau/svm: fail NOUVEAU_SVM_INIT ioctl on unsupported devices
There were several changes in kernel 5.4.0-67.

- drm/nouveau/bios: fix issue shadowing expansion ROMs
    - drm/nouveau/privring: ack interrupts the same way as RM
    - drm/nouveau/i2c/gm200: increase width of aux semaphore owner fields
    - drm/nouveau/mmu: fix vram heap sizing
    - drm/nouveau/kms/nv50-: fix case where notifier buffer is at offset 0
Based on the changes and presuming your system was up-to-date before you re-installed, my guess is the 5.4.0-72 kernel update is the one which resulted in the change you are seeing.

What was your reasong for re-installing Mint?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Blaan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Blaan »

Glad to see Oskar all the valuable help you are getting from this post, the only thibg better than linux Mint is the community it has involved! Sure you will learn q lot and enjoy all the time you spend learning, just like the people who posted here do. :D
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

It is possible that is the reason the computer is not suspending. I suspect the screen is blanking, but the computer is actually not suspending. Then the screen does not come back from being blanked.
That is true, the screen was blanking for 5 minutes and then the PC went to sleep

The reason I re installed Mint was I bought a new SSD and since I had no private files installed it was easy to re install Mint from my DVD
Nicolas
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Oskar1224 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:59 pmThe reason I re installed Mint was I bought a new SSD and since I had no private files installed it was easy to re install Mint from my DVD
Just wanted to make sure it wasn't because there were other issues.

I still think trying the 5.4.0-70 kernel is a possible solution to try. If it works, you can submit a bug report on the 5.4.0-72 kernel. I checked Ubuntu Linux package bugs with 5.4.0-72 and do not see any other mention of a possible issue with nouveau at this time.

If the problem still happens with the 5.4.0-70 kernel, then it's possible something else is the issue although I currently do not have any ideas what it might be.
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Thank you again for your time SMG but as I have mentioned I don’t want to play around with the kernel at this time especially for an issue which is not so important for me right now. When I started this thread, I thought the solution would have been something simple but I guess I was wrong.

Perhaps later when I will have more experience with LM Grub will be a very good subject to study.
Nicolas
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Oskar1224 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:42 pm Thank you again for your time SMG but as I have mentioned I don’t want to play around with the kernel at this time especially for an issue which is not so important for me right now. When I started this thread, I thought the solution would have been something simple but I guess I was wrong.

Perhaps later when I will have more experience with LM Grub will be a very good subject to study.
You would not be "playing around with the kernel" or doing anything to grub. You would be pulling up the grub menu (which is what anyone dual booting sees all the time anyway) and making two selections from the listed options. Those selections make a temporary one-time change to which kernel is used. The system automatically goes back to what it was doing on the next boot cycle.
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

SMG wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:56 am You would not be "playing around with the kernel" or doing anything to grub. You would be pulling up the grub menu (which is what anyone dual booting sees all the time anyway) and making two selections from the listed options. Those selections make a temporary one-time change to which kernel is used. The system automatically goes back to what it was doing on the next boot cycle.
I understand its very simple to do it but at this time I’m not ready for it since there is always the possibility something to go wrong and I don’t want to take the chance.
Nicolas
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Oskar1224 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:03 pmI understand its very simple to do it but at this time I’m not ready for it since there is always the possibility something to go wrong and I don’t want to take the chance.
I have no idea what could possibly "go wrong". You would be selecting a kernel you have already successfully used in the past.

There are some screen shots in the first answer in this thread How to access Advanced Options in GRUB?. You would be selecting one of the kernels which does not have (recovery mode) after it.
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

I think I will give a try to switch the karnel because I got 2 new small problems which I never had before. One is the screen started to go crazy after she goes to sleep and I move my mouse/keyboard to wake her up but it come back to normal after a few seconds. For now I removed from the Power settings the screen timer.

The other is that I can’t get in the keyboard settings new shortcuts like I had before. Like I go thru the setup for a new shortcut but then this shortcut does nothing when I use it.

However I wonder what the benefits are if I switch the karnel since the updates will most likely change it again.
Nicolas
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Oskar1224 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:24 amThe other is that I can’t get in the keyboard settings new shortcuts like I had before. Like I go thru the setup for a new shortcut but then this shortcut does nothing when I use it.
I do not use keyboard shortcuts, but maybe someone else can advise you on this.
Oskar1224 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:24 amHowever I wonder what the benefits are if I switch the karnel since the updates will most likely change it again.
The idea is to determine if the kernel is the issue. If it is, you report the bug and then test new kernels as they come out to see if the bug has been fixed. At the time the bug is fixed, then you would update your kernel to the latest.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: therajatshahare's question can now be found here Suspend Not Working in order to follow forum rules about not adding new questions to someone else's topic.
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Thank you moderator
Nicolas

Return to “Installation & Boot”