[SOLVED] Very Slow Install LM Cinnamon 20.1 on Vmware

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] Very Slow Install LM Cinnamon 20.1 on Vmware

Post by Oskar1224 »

Trying to install LM in my 6 years old ASUS laptop (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM) but its extremely slow and I wonder what’s wrong.

The laptop has Windows8.1 and on the Vmware I already have XP-PRO and Windows7 installed and they both work fine. Vmware is installed on C:\ which is a SSD 150GB and the other programs are install on D:\ which is a SATA 500GB disk.

I made a new DVD from a fresh download from LM site and the desktop where you see the install icon comes really fast but after I click on the install icon took more than 1 hour to come to the first screen to select languages. Then clicked continue and again more than 1 hour later I got to the keyboard selection screen. The light on the DVD is blinking normally. Now I click to suspend because it may take all night to finish.

What I suspect as a problem is the network but on Vmware I see where it says NAT is installed but I never had to use Internet access on Vmware so I don’t know if the NAT is configured properly to access the web.

Does LM need access to the web at the beginning? I know it will need access when it starts to download updates but does he need Internet for the languages / keyboard / disk config?

Any ideas what’s wrong?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nicolas
spamegg
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Very Slow Install LM Cinnamon 20.1 on Vmware

Post by spamegg »

Try Virtualbox, and install directly from the downloaded ISO instead of DVD, see if the problem still happens.
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

I already have Vmware with XP / Win7 installed so I don’t want to have two virtual machines in the same laptop. Four- five years ago I remember had installed about 6 various versions of Ubuntu / Linux trying to find an alternate OS and I had no problems with their installation
Nicolas
spamegg
Level 13
Level 13

Post by spamegg »

Can Vmware install directly from the ISO? Maybe something went wrong with the DVD burning, or something wrong about reading it from the DVD.
Also did you verify the ISO you downloaded? Maybe there is something wrong with it.
https://linuxmint.com/verify.php

Four-five years ago is a long time ago.
Is your machine strong enough for 20.1 Cinnamon? Win XP/7 are pretty old so I'm getting the sense that you have an older machine. Can you post the output of inxi -Fxmprz when you boot into the install DVD so we can see your hardware? If your machine is old, It's possible the newer kernels are having an issue with old hardware.

I still urge you to try Virtualbox and install from ISO, as that is well tested and known to work.
bodge99

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

I use Virtualbox as well as VMware on various kit. I've found that VMware is generally faster, but the latest Virtualbox test build is now quite close.
As spamegg says, install from the mounted Iso. For the network settings, I use "bridged adapter", this seems to work best with my network hardware.

Bodge99
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

The download was verified and at first I tried to install straight from the ISO but I had the same problem, extremely slow.

4-5 years old PC? no that’s not old! My 14 years old desktop (I built it myself as a hobby with top quality parts at that time) has 32bit Intel processor, 6GB RAM and I installed LM which runs like a charm. I can’t post the output of what you ask because the DVD is been used and I don’t like to interrupt the process (its now installing the Codecs, takes forever and I’m curious to see the end).

The laptop is an ASUS, Intel Core i7-4700HQ CPU @2.4GHz, 16GB RAM (my mistake I thought I had 8GB), 64-bit OS x64-based Processor, 17” Display, one of the best laptops I had and never gave me any problem.

I will not install Virtualbox along with Vmware, I don’t think its a good idea to have 2 virtual machines in the same PC.
Nicolas
bodge99

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

Some Bios's have a Virtualisation setting (called Vt-d on some of mine) that needs to be enabled to allow the virtual machine to access real hardware..
A 4th gen i7 CPU should run any VM's nicely.
Worth a check?

Bodge99
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

bodge99 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:23 am Hi,
Some Bios's have a Virtualisation setting (called Vt-d on some of mine) that needs to be enabled to allow the virtual machine to access real hardware..
A 4th gen i7 CPU should run any VM's nicely.
Worth a check?
Bodge99
Good point, I decided and stopped the LM installation (really slow). I checked what you say and in my BIOS all settings for (Intel Virtualization, Intel AES-NI and VT-d are Enabled). But checking Internet access within Vmware I have no access and maybe that's the problem. I changed from NAT to Bridged and results are the same, no access although the adapter says 'connected". Do you have any idea what settings I need in either NAT/Bridged to get it going?
Nicolas
bodge99

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

I use bridged networking.. no problems at all.

I would recommend that you do try the VirtualBox test build. See https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
I installed the Linux 64-bit 6.1.x revision 144078 yesterday onto a 4th gen i3 laptop (12GB ram). It runs nicely.

I've had no problems installing VirtualBox & VMware onto the same machine.. You can always uninstall VB after testing if you so require.

Don't forget to install the 'Extension Pack' into VirtualBox and the 'Guest Additions' into the installed system (you don't need to download this).

I use VMware for various Apple OS's (spit... These are not officially supported) and VirtualBox for everything else.

Bodge99
Last edited by bodge99 on Wed May 05, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Thanks, I may go for the VB
Nicolas
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

bodge99 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:13 pm Hi, I use bridged networking.. no problems at all.

I would recommend that you do try the VirtualBox test build. See https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
I installed the Linux 64-bit 6.1.x revision 144078 yesterday onto a 4th gen i3 laptop (12GB ram). It runs nicely.
Bodge99
I downloaded VB but it says at the end before install that all my networks will be disconnected. Will VB connect them back or I have to do that myself? (I'm very bad with connecting networks)
Nicolas
bodge99

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,
A clean install here gives:

Code: Select all

bob@bobs:~/Downloads/virtualbox$ sudo ./VirtualBox-6.1.21-144078-Linux_amd64.run
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox for Linux installation.............
VirtualBox Version 6.1.21 r144078 (2021-04-28T15:51:48Z) installer
Installing VirtualBox to /opt/VirtualBox
Python 2 (2.6 or 2.7) not available, skipping bindings installation.

VirtualBox has been installed successfully.

You will find useful information about using VirtualBox in the user manual
  /opt/VirtualBox/UserManual.pdf
and in the user FAQ
  http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ

We hope that you enjoy using VirtualBox.

I've never had any network disconnects here..

Bodge99
bodge99

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

To install the 'Extension Pack':
'File', 'Preferences', 'Extensions'. Click the small green + (and box) on the far right hand side. Browse to the 'Extension Package File". Double click & 'Install".
Scroll down on the License Agreement and click on "I Agree". Enter your password...

To install 'Guest Additions.. After you have installed your OS:
From 'Settings', 'Storage'. Click on the CD icon under 'Storage Devices'. Under 'Attributes on the right hand side, click on the CD icon and you should see "Guest Additions iso" in the drop down list. Most test version downloads include this iso.. ready to go. If it is missing, then just download it and add it here.
You'll now see it displayed in the middle 'Storage Devices' section.

Now boot the OS. When it is running, You'll see the Iso CD icon on the desktop. Double click this. If it doesn't autorun and just opens a window then
right click on 'VBoxLinuxAdditions.run' and copy the file to somewhere else (e.g. ~/Downloads).
Now manually run the file from a terminal. CD to ~/Downloads and enter ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run . This will now install.

Edit: Some distros will alter the file permissions when copying from the Iso, so you'll might need to make the file executable. (' chmod +x ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run ') should do. Install & reboot the VM system.

Bodge99
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Thanks for your time Bodge99

Besides the laptop problem I have now I also have the desktop where LM is working fine there. I just remember on the desktop I have installed VB with XP-PRO. The XP-PRO works fine but again I have no Internet access and in the last 2 days I have been trying to fix this problem. So regardless if I have Vmware or VB the problem remains none will give me easy access to Internet before I find out how to do it.

What I was doing before was trying to establish a connection and regardless if its NAT or Bridged I had no success. But right now I thought I can’t have a connection before Vmware or VB have the right adapter (hardware installed). So searching the hardware in my Vmware I found the closest adapter I could get and after it was installed now on the setup at least I see the name of my SSID which a huge step forward. Now I think I don’t have the right adapter because it ask for my password and I never had one before. When I installed LM it only asked me for my WEP/WPA which I know and that’s why I have access to Internet on LM.

Perhaps because XP-PRO is very old (2002) it does not have my wireless adapter in its hardware list but I hope I could find one similar. So basically its not Vmware or VB which will do the job better/worst, they both need the right network adapter to be able to connect with the Host

Therefore to my opinion LM install in my laptop is so slow because at the same time it tries to connect to the Internet and it can’t do it since I’m missing the adapter. When I find the right adapter then I will solve both the desktop and laptop problem.

I will mark this thread SOLVED because to my opinion I have solved the problem.
Nicolas
bodge99

Re: [SOLVED] Very Slow Install LM Cinnamon 20.1 on Vmware

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

On the laptop that I'm using right now, the VM network adapter is bridged to my wifi card (named as wip68so). I can toggle this to my ethernet (enp66s0).
You can then choose how the emulated network hardware will appear to the VM system. Right now, connectivity is by Wifi.. but the VM OS "sees" this as ethernet.

If you are having general network connectivity problems then this should be sorted first.

I'll offer my assistance if this would be of use.

First off.. Can you describe your hardware and **exactly** how you connect to the internet.
Example:
Computer 1 is a desktop Intel i3, 12GB ram. Windows XP. Ethernet to a network switch then ethernet to Router..
Computer 2 is a laptop Intel I5 16GB ram. Linux Mint 19.3 Wifi to Router.
I would just like a general overview of your network to start with...

If you would prefer to continue via PM or email then fine.. Just PM me with contact details.

Bodge99
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

bodge99 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:42 pm Hi, If you are having general network connectivity problems then this should be sorted first. I'll offer my assistance if this would be of use.
Bodge99
Thank you for your offer and gladly I will accept. I don’t mind PM but if we put all info here it may help others too.

In my house I have one wireless router supplied by a local cable company, never had a problem with it. Originally the tech guy connected on of my laptops to the router, told me what to do for anything else and I was all set.

I have 2 laptops + 1 desktop + 1 printer and all are connected to that router with no problem. Anything I connect it only asks me for the WEP/WPA number (13 digit alphanumeric) which I input and I’m done (no password)

Laptop1 is a 3 years old Lenovo, Intel i5 @2.7GHz, 8GB RAM, 64bit, 15” Screen, runs Windows10 and it does not have any other OS

Laptop2 (about 6 years old) what we discussed before, ASUS, Intel Core i7-4700HQ CPU @2.4GHz, 16GB RAM 64-bit OS x64-based Processor, 17” Display. Runs Windows 8.1and I have Vmware installed (includes XP-PRO + Windows 7)

Last is the desktop (14 years old). ASUS P5K3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP motherboard, Intel Core 2Duo at 3.0GHz, 32bit, 6GB RAM, ASUS WiFi AP Solo. It only has LinuxMint 20.1 OS and VB with XP-PRO. Linux runs with no problem. When I installed Linux, it detected my WiFI, asked for my WEP number, and got connected.

None of the above PC’s are networked together, although I could but I have no need. I found that is faster to transfer files using USB.

All PC’s have access to Internet but no the Vmware /VB.

Any other info just ask. Thanks
Nicolas
bodge99

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

Can you disable Intel AES-NI in your Bios.. unless you do use encryption of course..

Just to confirm.. You have the internet working properly on both laptops (wifi) but not on your XP desktop machine. Do you normally connect the XP machine using wifi.? How old is this card.. Do you know the make & model/chipset..Is it USB or an internal (PCI?) card? Can you get 'net access when using the ethernet port (assuming that the mobo has one). What sort of internet speeds can you actually obtain?

Be aware that both VMware and VirtualBox "hook into" the existing network stack via a translation layer (greatly oversimplified). I find that the bridged network settings are the easiest for normal use. If the host's network connection is "problematic", then the VM networking will also be.
You have a choice of how the virtualised network adapter "appears" to the VM OS. You would pick one that the VM OS has support for. This has nothing to do with your real network hardware.

I'll write down and post the settings that I use for Mint in VirtualBox tomorrow.. just so we are on the "same page".

Bodge99
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

bodge99 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:31 pm Hi, Can you disable Intel AES-NI in your Bios.. unless you do use encryption of course..
Bodge99
Had a bit of success tonight by using the Wireless Setup Wizard from the control panel. At least now it picked my SSID correctly and asked for my WEP which I input but still can’t find how to connect to the web. Did that on the desktop only

No problem to disable Intel AES-NI (that’s on the ASUS laptop)

All hardware in the desktop are the original (14 years old) except the boot disk which I replaced with a SSD for speed.

The desktop has:LAN Dual Gigabit controllers featuring AI NET2, Marvell 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit LAN Controller Realtek RTL8187 PCI Gigabit LAN Controller

Plus it has the WiFi ASUS Solo 54 Mbps IEEE802.11g and backwards compatible with 11 Mbps IEEE 802.11b. Software Access Point mode. Station mode: infrastructure mode and Ad-Hoc mode.

To avoid mix-ups please remember: my desktop has VirtualBox and the ASUS laptop has Vmware. Why? In the ASUS I installed Vmware about 6 years ago because I didn’t know anything about Virtualbox. In the desktop I installed LM 20.1 about 4 weeks ago and I don’t remember how/who told me to install Virtualbox. Both have XP-PRO and both have no access to Internet (yet). But the ASUS with Windows8.1 and desktop with LM has access to Internet.

Tomorrow I will be out all morning and be back around noon

Much appreciated
Nicolas
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Finally success! I got the Internet in the ASUS laptop working. Not really know how I did it but basically the crucial step was to run the Wireless Setup Wizard on XP-PRO which picked up the SSID and I input my WEP key. I used the Bridged connection.

The other mistake I was doing and wasted too much time is trying to establish an Internet connection by going thru all the various steps / configurations until I finally realized that I don’t need to make an Internet connection, just use Firefox. That’s what I did and now all is done.

Installing LM now was fast, the desktop came up almost instantly, I clicked on the install icon and the process went fast, except the multimedia codecs took almost forever.

When I will get some time now I will try to do the same on the desktop and I don’t expect to have any problems there. Bottom line, from my experience, is the PC needs Internet to do the LM install.

My thanks for your help.
Nicolas
bodge99

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

Glad to hear things are working now..

Any further problems, just ask here.

Bodge99

Return to “Installation & Boot”