Grub not appearing after Mint update.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kanga007
Level 1
Level 1

Grub not appearing after Mint update.

Post by kanga007 »

Win 10
Mint 20

Finally got Mint to update yesterday and this morning my laptop boots straight to win. Been searching but its difficult to find a recent decisive method to fix the grub. Grateful for any advice.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bodge99

Re: Grub not appearing after Mint update.

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

See viewtopic.php?f=42&t=348629

You can create this flashdrive on your system after booting from a Mint Live flashdrive.

You could then run 'sudo update-grub' from a terminal, which should pick up your Windows installation. You may need to reinstall Grub, depending on what your hardware is and how much damage Windows has caused. It should be an easy fix.

Bodge99
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Grub not appearing after Mint update.

Post by Reddog1 »

Go to your BIOS, boot order section, and check if Windows Boot Loader hasn't been moved up to the #1 position and your Mint (Ubuntu) isn't now down in #2. There was a recent GRUB2 update and some BIOS (Insyde was mine) will reorder the boot sequence when the GRUB version updates (I found from experience--doesn't make sense but I've seen it with my own eyes). I rejected the recent GRUB2 update because I didn't feel like going into my BIOS should it bork the sequence again. Not saying this is what happened to you, but it could be......

Return to “Installation & Boot”