Forced encryption of the home folder?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bojdom
Level 1
Level 1

Forced encryption of the home folder?

Post by Bojdom »

I am trying to install Linux Mint 20.1. I have / and /home on separate partitions. The root partition is formatted while the home partition is kept as it is. I have a lot of data on the home partition and do not want to make any big changes to it. Just want to add home folders for new users. However, the installation program has chosen to encrypt my home folder and does NOT allow me to uncheck it. Does anyone know why is this happening and how can I choose to not encrypt my home folder?
Screenshot from 2021-05-07 10-55-47.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Forced encryption of the home folder?

Post by t42 »

When installing you can choose only between encrypted LVM or not encrypted LVM. The simple gui option can't trigger complicated setup, btw quite rare in your case. If you want to mix encrypted and unencrypted partitions you need to prepare the disk manually beforehand and then proceed with the installation. I think you can modify this comprehensive decryption to achieve your goal: Encrypting disks
-=t42=-

Return to “Installation & Boot”