[Solved]Linux Mint Edge - gtkhash

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Qurcus
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved]Linux Mint Edge - gtkhash

Post by Qurcus »

I've been having problem getting Linux Mint Edge to verify properly - the terminal keeps saying its a bad signature. I ran it through gtkhash and is giving me the ok with sha256. Everything else in the terminal said the ISO is ok. Will this ISO be ok to install ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Linux Mint Edge - gtkhash

Post by JoeFootball »

Qurcus wrote: Will this ISO be ok to install ?
You'd have to answer that for yourself, as you will find that opinions vary on this. :)

What you've proved is that the ISO in question is matching the value in the sha256sum.txt file, and thus the download went as intended, and didn't corrupt anything.

That said, without the authentication step, you cannot conclusively determine that the ISO and the sha256sum.txt file haven't been tampered with via malicious entities. Is that possible? Yes. Is that likely? No.

If I was going to purposely skip the authentication step, I'd verify the value from the file on the HEAnet mirror.
https://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/20.1/
Qurcus
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint Edge - gtkhash

Post by Qurcus »

Thanks for replying. I'll wait and try again later or try installing 20.1 regular addition. It booted up from the USB OK on the 20.1 regular addition but when i shutdown the computer, remembering Edge Edition, Mint threw a fit with a bunch of code. It stopped after it filled the screen and forgot to tell me to remove the flash drive and "hit enter". I believe Mint was not sure what the computer was telling it to do next.

Return to “Installation & Boot”