How to make Clonezilla restored partition to boot?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wwwaters
Level 1
Level 1

How to make Clonezilla restored partition to boot?

Post by wwwaters »

Hi Guys...
The subject line says it all, but I will add a little detail...
I have a working Windows 10/Linux mint dual boot setup on one computer....

Decided I would like to clone the Linux partition to another computer with nothing on it (empty ef2 partition)...

Cloned the Linux Mint partition using Clonezilla to a usb stick and then used Clonezilla to restore the image to the second computer just mentioned...

I have been unable to find a way to to get the restored partition to boot...
When I turn on the computer it never finds anything to boot...

The above scenario seems reasonable given that that there was probably no boot data included with the clone...even Clonezilla suggests this may happen but I am not clear about how to fix it...

Can any one help?

Regards,

Bill
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: How to make Clonezilla restored partition to boot?

Post by kato181 »

I would do a backup of your important files, /home, etc and then do a fresh install and then restore your backup files. Not having a dual boot system with winwoes I have never used clonezilla so I can't attest to how you can do what you want to, but there are better people on here who have more knowledge on that subject than myself. You could try using Foxclone..(https://foxclone.com)
I suppose if you boot into the live session usb and go to terminal and do the following and see if that works..
sudo update-grub
wwwaters
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to make Clonezilla restored partition to boot: SOLVED

Post by wwwaters »

Hi kato181...

Appreciate your reply...

Actually I found a way to do this that is works real well using Clonezilla, something called Super-Grub and then the Boot Repair app. that comes with LM.

It is just complicated enough for the need of a write-up in order for just anyone to be able to do it, but a brief outline is as follows...

Installed LM from the ISO to the new system...

Recovered the Clonezilla image (with all my additions) into the LM partition...

Since I was unable to boot this partition, (Clonezilla might be used in a way to avoid this, but it creamed the boot partition) so I created a bootable USB with "Super-Grub" installed (from SourceForge), it allows you to boot most anything that it finds.

Once I was able to boot LM then I ran the Boot Repair app and everything worked ...

There may be a simpler way to do this but I was unable to find it or just didn't understand the suggestions made....

Regards,

Happy Camper, Bill
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: How to make Clonezilla restored partition to boot?

Post by kato181 »

Glad you got it working. Please mark your post as solved so others won't comment.

Return to “Installation & Boot”