<SOLVED> Mint is booting with message ''welcome to 'name of the laptop""

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SirAbrahamKek
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> Mint is booting with message ''welcome to 'name of the laptop""

Post by SirAbrahamKek »

After I had problems with the apt and I wasn't able to shut off nor reboot the system I tried various commands and some worked. But when I shut off and on again the system is asking for login and password and it isn't accepting. Can someone help?

The solution is this: https://www.vivaolinux.com.br/topico/Su ... ome-do-pc/
Basically I reinstalled lightdm: My Mint wans't with login nor password on login and wans't accepting anything, I boot on grub (shift), choose recovery mode and put this command on terminal with root option

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
, shut the system off, booted and was solved. Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Mint is booting with message ''welcome to 'name of the laptop""

Post by Larry78723 »

Without some technical information we can’t help you. Please post an inxi -Fxxxzr report. This will give us a concise overview of your hardware and on how Mint sees it.

Here is how to generate the report and post it:

Boot from your installation media (USB/DVD)
Open a terminal window (Ctrl-Alt-t). Make it fullscreen to avoid unneeded linebreaks or chopped lines. Execute the command

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxzr 
exactly as it has been typed here.

Mark the complete text output which the command will display with your mouse.
Press the keyboard shortcut <Shift><Ctrl>C to copy the marked text into the clipboard.
Enclose the results between the code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply then paste <Ctrl>V them in your reply between the code markers [code]Results [/code].

The results will help us to help you.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, SirAbrahamKek.
SirAbrahamKek wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:18 pmBut when I shut off and on again the system is asking for login and password and it isn't accepting.
This somehow reminds me of similar reports, where others phrased the behaviour as "login loop":
In the graphical login screen, you enter your username (or select it from a list of usernames).
Next you enter your password and confirm.
Expected behaviour: the graphical desktop will be displayed after a few seconds.
Actual behaviour: within a few seconds the graphical login screen is displayed again. No error message. Non complaint about incorrect password.

Provided this is the behaviour, which you see, then please have a look at this post > here <.
Note:
Even if the steps in that post should not help resolve the problem directly, then they should at least help find out the root cause.

Please, report back what the outcome is in your case.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
SirAbrahamKek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SirAbrahamKek »

https://pasteboard.co/K15yqCx.jpg
2021-05-09 14.17.11 pasteboard.co 636d30065b0d.png
It is showing this login and asking for a login, then a password which is not accepting any input. I will try the solution you give.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, SirAbrahamKek.

I remember having seen login screens, which looked similar, in this forum before. But at the moment, I cannot remember what the root cause behind had been.
This is not one of the graphical Linux Mint login screens. As a consequence I am not really sure whether the post, to which I had linked, will help identify the root cause of you issue. But trying will not do any harm.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
SirAbrahamKek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SirAbrahamKek »

I can't do it because mine hasn't a login and the password isn't simply not accepting any input.
SirAbrahamKek
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <SOLVED> Mint is booting with message ''welcome to 'name of the laptop""

Post by SirAbrahamKek »

This problem begun when I tried to install xdm, I opened up the installer but nothing shows, but the process was running in background, I tried some commands from the internet, and I think one was dealing with dpkg, this worked because something was locked and was blocking me from shutting the system off and rebooting, after I shut off the system this login screen was showing. I'm trying to create a bootable USB through android to show information about the system as the first guy said.

I've entered recovery mode, and state of LVM is saying: physical volumes: wrong (bad).

(SOLVED) solution on the first topic.

Return to “Installation & Boot”