Level 3
Level 3

Re: No boot option after installing from Windows 7

Post by nadir »

hello, two threads below this one
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=34717
i found a link:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351
i followed the advice this morning and it worked like a charme.
boot from the mint-live:
in a terminal run
sudo grub
find /boot/grub/stage1
root (hd?,?)
setup (hd0)
quit
sudo reboot
you need to replace ? with what find /boot/grub/stage1 tells you. Worked nice for me. perhaps you want to wait a bit for further advice, so you wont screw you windows7 install. take care.
nadir
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nadir »

you sure have choosen a good name :wink: . just kidding, same here.
you do it from the live-cd
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lagagnon »

impatient wrote:I chose to do the installation from within Windows (which took a very long time because apparently it had to download installation files which I found odd, shouldn't these be included in the ISO)
A proper installation of any operating system should be done on its own partition. I suggest you forget the nonsense of installing Linux from within Windows. It is not the correct way of doing things and was designed to give Windows users the warm fuzzy feeling that they are safe in Windows. IMHO you should delete that install and resize your hard drive to do a normal install of Mint from its Live CD. You will be much more satisfied with it in the long run.
I'm naturally a little irritated because I have come to fully expect the installation of Linux, especially Linux Mint now-a-days, to be quick and painless.
Installing any operating system on a computer is very rarely painless. Please read this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... th#p172482
kurisutofu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kurisutofu »

Hello,
I have the same problem. I decided I would take a look at Windows7 and created a NTFS partition. I installed Win7, no problems.
I restart, no grub ....
Then, I did what Nadir proposed, didn't work.

My other partition, Vista, is also not working, it fails to run but is listed ...

When I use the live-CD in the terminal I can see hd1,0 when I run the command find /boot/grub/stage1 but then, when I connect with the command line in the boot sequence (I don't know how I could get there, I don't remember), when I run the find comman, I get hd0,0. That might help...?
ESM
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ESM »

I guess this has all to do with the 100mb partition that Win7 makes. It stars from there. And that's not logical for grub as I imagine. Win7 is a logical partition with the boot in the 100mb partition (say that's now the C drive...).
kurisutofu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kurisutofu »

ESM wrote:I guess this has all to do with the 100mb partition that Win7 makes. It stars from there. And that's not logical for grub as I imagine. Win7 is a logical partition with the boot in the 100mb partition (say that's now the C drive...).
What should I do?

If I uninstall Win7, will it set back Mint?

Return to “Installation & Boot”