[SOLVED] - EMMC & Kernel 5 issues

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
darkon11
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] - EMMC & Kernel 5 issues

Post by darkon11 »

Hi
I've recently changed my pc to a TX88 mini pc.
I've been disappointed to see that LM 20 & 20.1 don't recognize the EMMC onboard.
I understand it's a kernel thing because distros with kernel 4 don't have any issues.
Even if from the live USB it can see the M2 disk I can't install even on that because both gparted and ubiquity got stuck.
I was forced to switch to linux MX that is a nice distro but not as cured as Linux Mint.
I think there could be some settings in bios or grub that can make things work but which ones ?
Any help appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bodge99

Re: EMMC issues

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

Is this a Tanix TX88 MINI PC ?

Yes, you are correct in so far that kernel support is required for eMMC (as well as for the controllers).

I spent a good while a few years ago getting Linux to run on the Linx range of tablets.. These were eMMC and had 32-bit UEFI & a 64-bit SOC (Bay Trail processor).

If any of the following is too much at this stage.. absolutely fine.. If it's any help then I can look at uploading a modified Iso (with a much newer kernel) to Google Drive..
This would actually be a compressed filesystem.. You would extract it to a flashdrive and use 'gparted' to set the 'boot' & 'esp' flags.
You would then boot from this and test your system. You can then install as normal if everything works O.K.

I would have thought that most kernels from about 4.2 onwards would have no real problems now.. Of course, I haven't looked to see exactly how Ubuntu/Mint have configured their kernel versions with regards to this. I'm guessing that the problem is specific chipset support.. not actually with the eMMC itself.

Have you tried the Cinnamon Edge iso?? this one has a newer kernel.

If you wish to try another way then you could either modify a stock Iso to use a much newer kernel or (if you have access to another computer) perform an installation to an external device. A larger flashdrive would work (but an external drive would be better). You then upgrade the kernel on this and test the TX88 from here. If everything now works you are "good to go". You then "transplant" the system to the TX88.

Frightened by the thought of this?? Don't be.. I can supply explicit instructions on **exactly** how you do this..

See viewtopic.php?f=42&t=348419
The archive is just under 2GB in size.

Bodge99
Last edited by bodge99 on Mon May 10, 2021 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
bodge99

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

I've uploaded the modified installation files as a compressed archive to Google Drive. If anybody wants this, then please PM me for a link.

You would need to download the archive and extract it/copy the contents to a formatted flashdrive.
Use Gparted to set the 'boot' and 'esp' flags on the flashdrive filesystem.

If you wish to use this for a Legacy boot, then you'll need to perform the final install Grub Legacy boot stage.
I've repeated this here:
Legacy Boot:

Code: Select all

sudo su
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt  {Mount the flashdrive to /mnt.}
grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot --target=i386-pc /dev/sda {This assumes that your flashdrive is seen as 'sda'.}
sync
umount /mnt
Bodge99
darkon11
Level 1
Level 1

Post by darkon11 »

Hi
Wow, thanks, it's a lot of work.
A couple of things:
Yes, I've tried edge and even the last Linux mx ahs.
They're both a no go because of kernel 5.
You're probably right about the chipset because another mini pc that i had with emmc had no issues with LM 20.
Right now I'm tryin LM 19.2 the last with kernel 4.
It installed flawlessly and from my point of view is even better than 20 series.
I think this is the way to go to have a lot less headaches.
But I'll try your solution when I'll have a working system and some spare time.
BTW this thing with emmc drives should be communicated to the developers.
Maybe they can put out a fix for the next 20.2 release.
Thanks again
bodge99

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

If your troubles are related to the relative "newness" of the CPU & chipset then there will always be problems with any long term support Linux distribution.

They are, by definition, "behind the curve" when it comes to the latest software versions or the best/latest hardware support.
This is by conscious design. Some folk prefer to use a known, stable Linux release.. one which doesn't change much and is supported for a few years, at least.

Yes, there are software updates.. but nothing like the sheer number that are released (almost daily) for some of the "rolling release" distros.

I use both sorts... for different reasons... Each have their own advantages, again, for different reasons.

I use Mint on quite a few machines here. Some kit is very new.. with these I've had to install a kernel that is newer than the ones Mint supports..
This gives me better hardware support which often results in a faster machine.
To be clear.. These kernels are Ubuntu mainline releases.. the very releases that Mint use (although the Mint ones are older).

If you would like to try the modded flashdrive files (kernel version 5.12.0-051200-generic & newer firmware) then just ask and I'll PM you the link.

Don't forget that you can install any kernel version that works best for you.. once you've actually managed to get something to install, of course.
I've never had any problems using any mainline Ubuntu kernel with Mint..

If you are happy with 19.2 then great!!

I would be interested to see exactly how Linux identifies your hardware.. There may be something else going on besides any kernel differences..

If there are problems with the 5.x kernels that the 4.x kernels don't have, then I would expect this to be fixed fairly soon..

Bodge99
bodge99

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

I've had a closer look at this one.. The CPU is a Celeron N4100 which was released in Dec. 2017.
The GPU is a UHD 600, so graphics support should be straight forward.

This is a SOC (system on a chip).. The processor package contains some of what was previously implemented in an external chipset..
Specific kernel support is required for any family of SOC's.

Gemini Lake kernel support was added in May 2017, the last significant kernel patch (that I can see) was added in March 2020.. Typical bug fixes added after this date.

I would look at kernel version 5.9 or newer..

Bodge99
darkon11
Level 1
Level 1

Post by darkon11 »

OK, I'll try.
darkon11
Level 1
Level 1

Post by darkon11 »

Finally found the culprit of this thing.
If you have my rig (or a similar one) you have to go in the BIOS at ADVANCED/THERMAL and disable the DPTF.
Still some issues with the ACPI but that's bearable.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: [SOLVED] - EMMC & Kernel 5 issues

Post by Larry78723 »

Thanks for posting the solution to your issue, it may help someone else.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.

Return to “Installation & Boot”