error: file /boot/ not found when booting with EFI on imac 2009

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ralhei
Level 1
Level 1

error: file /boot/ not found when booting with EFI on imac 2009

Post by ralhei »

I'm trying to install LinuxMint on an old iMac 2009, but I'm not really getting beyond the boot process.
My mac recognizes the installation DVD (Mint 20.1, xfce), but when I click on the EFI icon I get the error: "file '/boot/' not found". Then, after 2 seconds or so, a new text display appears (with GNU Grub version 2.04 as title), allowing me to Start Linux Mint, do an OEM install, or check the integrity of the medium. But no normal installation mode is offered.
However all of these options fail, telling me: "unknown filesystem, you need to load the kernel first".
Honestly, I have no clue what is going on.
Would anybody be able to help? Thanks a lot in advance. Ralph
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: error: file /boot/ not found when booting with EFI on imac 2009

Post by rene »

Noting that I haven't a single experience with it myself, I expect this is again the 32-bit EFI issue? I.e., perhaps this? viewtopic.php?t=333755. Other post that looks relevant: viewtopic.php?p=1291450#p1291450
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Re: error: file /boot/ not found when booting with EFI on imac 2009

Post by fabien85 »

In 2009, the iMacs were 64-bit EFI. So this should not be the problem.
@ralhei, could you find your model here : https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/index-imac.html and post the link so that we have the complete specs ?

It could be an issue of an error when burning the DVD, or simply the boot taking too long and timing out.
I suggest burning to a USB stick (from macOS, use Etcher) and try all your USB ports.

It's normal that the options that you get are "Start Linux Mint, do an OEM install, or check the integrity of the medium". It's the only options AFAIK.
The normal procedure is to use "Start Linux Mint" to try it out, connect to internet and check everything works, then launch the installer trhough the shortcut on the desktop.

Return to “Installation & Boot”