Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend. It is held by process 6344 (synaptic)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MarkusFueh
Level 2
Level 2

Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend. It is held by process 6344 (synaptic)

Post by MarkusFueh »

I do have a broken package and if I want to remove by the terminal, the following shows up:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend. It is held by process 6344 (synaptic)
N: Be aware that removing the lock file is not a solution and may break your system.
E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), is another process using it?

I tried all options I can find without forcing to remove it due to the warning message. Very grateful for any help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MarkusFueh
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend. It is held by process 6344 (synaptic)

Post by MarkusFueh »

Sorry missed the system infos:
LM 20 vers. 4.6.7.
HP Notebook, Intel© Core™ i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz × 2
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend. It is held by process 6344 (synaptic)

Post by spamegg »

Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxpmrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply
and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the
command between the code markers like this: [code]Results[/code].
MarkusFueh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MarkusFueh »

Many tanks - I hope this is correct:

Code: Select all

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

MarkusFueh wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:00 am I do have a broken package and if I want to remove by the terminal, the following shows up:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend. It is held by process 6344 (synaptic)
Is Synaptic (the package manager) actually open? That is what the message says.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MarkusFueh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MarkusFueh »

Sorry for that, I must be the biggest amateur in this forum...!

I made sure the app is closed and tried again all possible ways I can find in the forums but still it doesn't work.

When I run: apt install -f then I get the following:

The following packages will be upgraded:
systemd-sysv
1 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 155 not to upgrade.
4 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/10.3 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
dpkg: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 10753 package 'grub-common':
value for 'Conffiles' field has malformed line '/etc/grub.d/41_custom`7bb4eb43ee7cb6d6f52df3dd2bde84e9'
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

I tried all I can find in the forums and also run update grub but nothing worked so far.

Return to “Installation & Boot”