After kernel update not booting

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ihavethis
Level 1
Level 1

After kernel update not booting

Post by Ihavethis »

Hi everyone. I’m a newbie in Linux Mint. I had used it for 2-3 months on a new laptop rog strix g17. Very enjoying it. But today after an update of kernel to 58 ver the laptop is not booting more. I just see the “republic of gamers” logo and thats all. Is not moving forward. Please, any suggestion to restore the old kernel and all data, to bring back a normal life of that laptop? I hope the data was not lost definitely…
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bodge99

Re: After kernel update not booting

Post by bodge99 »

Hi,

You've been unlucky..

Something is preventing your system from booting properly. At what stage this happens is the question.

This could be caused by your Bios settings.. Have a look and see if 'Secure Booting' is enabled. If it is, disable it. Save the changes and reboot.
If the boot fails again, restart. While you are in your Bios settings.. have a quick look to see if there is an option that is worded something like:
"Boot UEFI shell", "Run external EFI file", "Start external file" or similar. Don't make any further Bios setting changes but report what you have found (if anything) here.

As the system (tries) to start, repeatedly "stab" your 'esc' key. Watch the screen closely and look for **anything**.. a brief flash of text or a logo etc.

If you can't see anything at all then try booting from your Mint Live flashdrive. I've got some reservations regarding some current versions of the secure boot files that are placed into your EFI partition. These are easy to manually remove/disable from within the Live environment if necessary.

We're not there yet.. this might not be required.

Bodge99
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Ihavethis wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:59 amHi everyone. I’m a newbie in Linux Mint. I had used it for 2-3 months on a new laptop rog strix g17. Very enjoying it. But today after an update of kernel to 58 ver the laptop is not booting more.
I do not understand what "update of kernel to 58 ver" means.

If you have a very new laptop, then you should probably be using the 5.8 kernel for which the latest version is 5.8.0-53.
If you are using the 5.4 kernel, the latest version is 5.4.0-73.

Neither of those is a "58 version".
Ihavethis wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:59 am I just see the “republic of gamers” logo and thats all. Is not moving forward. Please, any suggestion to restore the old kernel and all data, to bring back a normal life of that laptop? I hope the data was not lost definitely…
If you have an install usb/dvd, please boot to a live session of Mint using it as suggested by bodge99 and provide the output of the following terminal command: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

If Bodge's idea doesn't work and once you have the info for SMG:
Did you 'create' a Timeshift snapshot at all?
If you did, then boot up into Live Mint (USB or DVD), run Timeshift and restore to that snapshot.

If you didn't, you can boot up to Live Mint, mount your system drive using Disks, and copy your important stuff off onto a USB drive before playing around too much.

Also, for the future, make sure that you have your important data on different external drives as well as your system drive.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

I've said it before--if your machine is working fine, and there are no bulletins about remote vulnerabilities in your kernel, there is no reason to update a working kernel. Everything works, you don't need any drivers for new hardware, and no remote security holes, don't accept the updates. Most times kernel updates are applied without a hitch, but a kernel update always comes with the possibility that it will break your system. So, it boils down to, "Are you feeling lucky"?

Return to “Installation & Boot”