Linux Mint Installation Shows no Progress

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wisker
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint Installation Shows no Progress

Post by Wisker »

I have this problem when trying to install Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon from a LiveUSB to a partitioned 28Gb USB Drive. Lets call the LiveUSB "USB A" and the 28Gb one "USB B". So, when running the installation, I set the language for the installation to English, then I choose my keyboard layout to Spanish keyboard. I also checked the multimedia codecs box and set a SecureBoot password. Now, before the installation I partitioned USB B to one ext4 partition as large as the USB drive. When I get to the step for selecting mount points and partitions on the installation I select the USB B ext4 partition without formatting it (It's empty anyways) and set the root mount point in this partition. I didn't create a /home or swap partition because with it being a installation on a USB drive it's counterproductive to do so. I selected the capital of my country, I filled in my personal data (name, username, etc) and started the installation. Now, with all this information I will tell you the real problem. The installation started, and it's stuck (doesn't seem to be any progress) on "Removing conflicting operating system files..." and it's been like that, with no progress on the progress bar, for about 2 hours. Did I do something wrong with the partitions, installing instructions, or something else? I attached some screenshots of the problem. If I missed some information on the context of the problem tell me.
Thanks
Screenshot from 2021-06-11 11-21-12.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint Installation Shows no Progress

Post by SMG »

Wisker wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:23 amNow, before the installation I partitioned USB B to one ext4 partition as large as the USB drive.
Welcome to the forum, Wisker.

You mention you made one partition, but how are you booting your system? Is it booting legacy BIOS or EFI? You didn't mention where the boot/efi partition might be located.

I have never created Mint on an USB, but I did find this Install complete Linux Mint on a USB drive. Maybe something there will help.

I seem to recall a thread here on the forum about making a persistent Mint install on a usb. I thought there were some special considerations for doing so, but I am not finding the thread right now.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Installation & Boot”