[RESOLVED] 6 tabulated bands on the screen

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
surferomañanero
Level 1
Level 1

[RESOLVED] 6 tabulated bands on the screen

Post by surferomañanero »

Good afternoon,
I've just bought a new laptop last 08-jun-2021 hp 15s-eq1023ns and bios screen was fine but when installing the linux mint 20.1 XFCE 64 bits an error on the screen appeared with 6 bands tabulated.

My laptop specifications:
screen: 15.6'' 1366x768 pixeles HD SVA
AMD athlon silver 3050U 2 cores cache 4MB
RAM 8GB DDR4 SDRAM
SSD 256GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon Graphics
  • I downloaded linuxmint ISO from the official website.
  • I burnt the iso image with PowerISO and the parametres: write method: "USB - HDD" File system: "Automatic" (Rufus, was not possible from my 12 years old laptop 32 bits)
  • I changed the BIOS start to USB as youtube explained and that screen was right.
  • I set the USB and pressed linuxmint and the linuxmint screen was the outcome
Do I need to return the laptop or it is a hard/soft problem?
Laptop comes only with the FreeDOS SO.
Should you need further details, do not hesitate to ask me.
Thank you in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: 6 tabulated bands on the screen

Post by SMG »

Welcome to the forum, surferomañanero.

I think the graphics output you are experiencing is a known bug. It is a combination of the windows manager/compositor and a bug in amdgpu. Here is a long thread with others having the same issue and what they tried 20.04 Display issues with AMD GPU (on MATE and Xfce).

This post indicates using compton (instead of the default marco) with LM20.1 MATE works. You could try making a change from your current settings on Xfce to see if that works.

This problem does not happen on Mint Cinnamon, so trying that ISO could be a way of determining if the problem is related to the bug I mentioned or it is an issue with your computer.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
surferomañanero
Level 1
Level 1

Post by surferomañanero »

Hello SMG,

I tried Cinnamon and everything perfect. Thank you so much for your excellent support. A strong hug, you don't really know how happy I am with my Linuxmint for my office and Internet. It's got all I need. :D :D :D
It seems AMD matches better with Cinnamon rather than with mate and xfce.
Greetings to all US citizens from Spain.
Thank you so much indeed. :D
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

You're welcome. Glad to hear the computer is working properly with Cinnamon and you do not have to worry about sending it back.

I believe compton is an option with Xfce and I recall others saying it worked properly (no bands on the screen when using it), if you would prefer to use Xfce rather than Cinnamon.

If you are happen with using Cinnamon, please go to your first post in this thread, click the pencil icon and add [RESOLVED] to the title so others know you are no longer seeking help on this issue.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Installation & Boot”