Mint 19.3 Stuck on Logo Screen During Boot After Downgraded for Updating

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FePrunus
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 19.3 Stuck on Logo Screen During Boot After Downgraded for Updating

Post by FePrunus »

I am sorry if this has been asked before, I can't seem to be finding anything about this on the internet. Since I wanted to upgrade to Mint 20, I followed the guide and downgraded all the foreign package in Software Sources, and uninstalled Mono. After the list is clear, I rebooted my computer, and it stayed in the screen with the mint icon. I let it sit for an hour and nothing seem to be happening. Is there any idea of how to boot it? Anything would be appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint 19.3 Stuck on Logo Screen During Boot After After Downgraded for Updating

Post by SMG »

Welcome to the forum, FePrunus.

As part of How to upgrade to Linux Mint 20 one is advised to take a Timeshift snapshot before starting. Did you do that? If so, you could restore to the snapshot and try again. (Boot to a live session of Mint and use Timeshift on the live session to restore to the snapshot you created.)
FePrunus wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:12 pmSince I wanted to upgrade to Mint 20, I followed the guide and downgraded all the foreign package in Software Sources, and uninstalled Mono.
What is Mono?
FePrunus wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:12 pm After the list is clear, I rebooted my computer, and it stayed in the screen with the mint icon.
When booting, one can press the Escape key to see the messages on the screen. Although, it is usually whatever comes after what is on the screen that is causing the issue.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
FePrunus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 19.3 Stuck on Logo Screen During Boot After After Downgraded for Updating

Post by FePrunus »

Thank you for replying!
As part of How to upgrade to Linux Mint 20 one is advised to take a Timeshift snapshot before starting. Did you do that? If so, you could restore to the snapshot and try again. (Boot to a live session of Mint and use Timeshift on the live session to restore to the snapshot you created.)
I did the Timeshift a year ago, and forgot to do it this time. So it would be best if I don't have to, but I will use it as the last resort.
What is Mono?
Mono project is something I downloaded a year ago for C# but since it takes up like 9/10 of all the foreign package in the "Downgrade Foreign Package" I thought I'd mention it
When booting, one can press the Escape key to see the messages on the screen. Although, it is usually whatever comes after what is on the screen that is causing the issue.
It just lengthens the time on the motherboard icon menu for me, and still goes to the icon of mint later. Pressing Esc on that icon screen takes me to a blank black page.

I wonder could it be I disabled some crucial PPA or downgraded some vital part of the system? Is there a way to reactivate them or upgrade the packages using live sessions? Thank you.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

FePrunus wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:35 pm
What is Mono?
Mono project is something I downloaded a year ago for C# but since it takes up like 9/10 of all the foreign package in the "Downgrade Foreign Package" I thought I'd mention it
That was my guess, but a lot of programs/packages have similar names so I wanted to make sure.
FePrunus wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:35 pm
It just lengthens the time on the motherboard icon menu for me, and still goes to the icon of mint later. Pressing Esc on that icon screen takes me to a blank black page.
That sounds like there is either a problem at the very start or there is a big problem.

I suppose you could boot to a live session of Mint to view the files on the hard drive, but I do not know what to suggest you look for.
FePrunus wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:35 pmI wonder could it be I disabled some crucial PPA or downgraded some vital part of the system? Is there a way to reactivate them or upgrade the packages using live sessions?
I do not have any guesses at this point as to what might be happening, so, unfortunately, I do not have any suggestions. I did a fresh install of LM20, but I have helped others who have upgraded but no one whom I helped had this issue. I do not know if others did.

Maybe someone else will have some ideas of what might have happened.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Installation & Boot”