Linux Mint 19 freezes on boot.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AmyStone
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 19 freezes on boot.

Post by AmyStone »

Today I installed Debian 10 (No GUI) on my VirtualBox. And I also installed virtualbox-guest-X11, virtualbox-guest-utils, and virtualbox-guest-dkms.

And suddenly my Linux Mint froze. And now when I reboot my machine, my OS freezes at login screen. The clock and the battery status still work except for the login prompt, the mouse, and the keyboard.

Oh, one more thing: I booted into my Windows 10 and the Windows booted fine. (i dual-booted Windows 10 and Linux Mint 19)

:( What do I do? Please help!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Linux Mint 19 freezes on boot.

Post by zcot »

Line 1 From the Virtualbox manual about the guest packages:
As mentioned in Section 1.2, “Some Terminology”, the Guest Additions are designed to be installed inside a virtual machine after the guest operating system has been installed.
Use the GRUB menu, advanced and select the recovery option, and remove those 3 packages: apt remove virtualbox-guest-X11 virtualbox-guest-utils virtualbox-guest-dkms. If you can tty then it's an easier more direct method.
AmyStone
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AmyStone »

zcot wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:27 pm Use the GRUB menu, advanced and select the recovery option, and remove those 3 packages: apt remove virtualbox-guest-X11 virtualbox-guest-utils virtualbox-guest-dkms. If you can tty then it's an easier more direct method.
OMG, OMG! THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!
This is just what I needed. I didn't know about the recovery mode.

I booted into recovery mode and used apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg to fix the issue. My GUI works fine now.

Thank you once again, guru!!!
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Great news!

Good job.

Return to “Installation & Boot”