Complete Up-to-date Install without Good Internet

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ovrflo
Level 3
Level 3

Complete Up-to-date Install without Good Internet

Post by ovrflo »

I need to install LM20.1 on my father-in-laws laptop computer. He is out of town, so I need to get things right the first time.

He has very poor internet service a a low bandwidth cap so if possible I would like to bring almost everything that needs to be installed with me. I can easily make an install USB, but IIUC that install will be several months out of date and a new install will require many GB of downloads to bring up-to-date.

I have very fast internet with no bandwidth cap and a portable hard drive, so if possible I would like to bring some sort of media with me so that updates would come from my install media rather than the internet.

Is it reasonable to do this? If so can someone give me some idea as to how I would do this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Complete Up-to-date Install without Good Internet

Post by RIH »

The problem I foresee is that your computer is not your father-in-laws - i.e. they will not be identical in all aspects.

However, given that, then my recommendation would be to download & install the 20.1 iso.
Then install all updates.
Download foxclone & use it to clone the newly updated Mint 20.1.
https://foxclone.com/download.php
Use foxclone to re-install the updated Mint clone to Father-in-laws computer..
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Complete Up-to-date Install without Good Internet

Post by SMG »

Maybe something in this thread Update manually or in this post of "moving "updates" from one Linux Mint computer to another Linux Mint computer" will help you.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Installation & Boot”