2 linux mint partitions?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Monarch666
Level 1
Level 1

2 linux mint partitions?

Post by Monarch666 »

When i open disks in linux mint, i see that there are two partitions of same size. one of them is the partition having linux mint. but i have no idea about the other one. it has the same size as my linux partition and is marked as extended? both my home and root file system are in same partition.

And i also want to extend my linux partition with that free unallocated space in middle. is it possible?
Attachments
2.png
1.png
Screenshot from 2021-06-17 22-26-49.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: 2 linux mint partitions?

Post by xenopeek »

The last screenshot is the most clear to understand it. In MBR partitioning scheme you can have 4 partitions and one of those can be an extended partition, which is just a container for further sub partitions. The extended partition doesn't hold any data itself.

What you're seeing in the last screenshot is that /dev/sda2 is your extended partition and inside it you have one sub partition /dev/sda5. That sub partition uses all available space in the extended partition. Hence they are the same size.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Re: 2 linux mint partitions?

Post by ricardogroetaers »

Monarch666 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:47 pm And i also want to extend my linux partition with that free unallocated space in middle. is it possible?
It's possible but it's risky and time-consuming.
It involves tinkering with the left parts of the extended partition and the logical partition (which is inside the extended one).

It's not worth taking the risk because of 5GB.

Return to “Installation & Boot”