Installing on new Dell XPS 8940

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Whitefort
Level 2
Level 2

Installing on new Dell XPS 8940

Post by Whitefort »

Hi.

I'd really appreciate any help with this. So far I've only installed Mint on old or home-made machines, but now I've got this new Dell.

Ideally, I'd like dual-boot with the existing Windows, but if that's not feasible, I'm happy to go for a Linux-only installation.

I managed to turn off EFI and set it up to boot from a CD.

From the CD, the live installation can be started, but stops with a black screen.

When I try again in compatibility mode, I do get into the live desktop, but apparently with no Wifi - and I don't want to click on install in case I end up with a PC that won't boot into anything, or that will boot but with no wifi.

I'm assuming there's some pre-installation step I'm missing, but I've no idea what it might be. I'm honestly thinking it might be safer just to keep this as a Windows-only machine, but I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Installing on new Dell XPS 8940

Post by Larry78723 »

If Win was pre-installed on this new machine, it was likely installed in UEFI mode, so Mint will have to be installed in the same mode. Please post an inxi -Fxxxzr report. This will give us a concise overview of your hardware and on how Mint sees it.

Here is how to generate the report and post it:

Boot from your installation media (USB/DVD)
Open a terminal window (Ctrl-Alt-t). Make it fullscreen to avoid unneeded linebreaks or chopped lines. Execute the command

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxzr 
exactly as it has been typed here.

Mark the complete text output which the command will display with your mouse.
Press the keyboard shortcut <Shift><Ctrl>C to copy the marked text into the clipboard.
Enclose the results between the code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply then paste <Ctrl>V them in your reply between the code markers [code]Results [/code].

The results will help us to help you.
Larry
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Whitefort wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:07 pmI managed to turn off EFI and set it up to boot from a CD.
I can understand changing the boot order so you can boot from a CD, but how did you "turn off EFI"?

Many newer computers might have the option to boot EFI or switch to a simulated BIOS booting instead of EFI booting, but that does not turn off EFI. EFI is firmware your computer needs to start.

Many people turn off Secure Boot, but that is different from EFI.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

@SMG - I think they're talking about putting in Legacy boot mode.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Whitefort
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Whitefort »

Hi Larry.

(The silly 'turned off EFI' comment probably tells you all you need to know about how clueless I am!)

Here's the code

Code: Select all

mint@mint:~$ inxi -Fxxxzr
System:
  Kernel: 5.4.0-58-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.5 wm: muffin 4.8.0 dm: LightDM 1.30.0 
  Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: Dell product: XPS 8940 v: N/A serial: <filter> 
  Chassis: type: 3 serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: Dell model: 0427JK v: A00 serial: <filter> UEFI: Dell v: 2.0.11 
  date: 01/22/2021 
CPU:
  Topology: 6-Core model: 11th Gen Intel Core i5-11400 bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: N/A L2 cache: 12.0 MiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx 
  bogomips: 62208 
  Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/4400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 801 2: 800 
  3: 802 4: 800 5: 801 6: 801 7: 800 8: 800 9: 800 10: 801 11: 801 12: 801 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel vendor: Dell driver: N/A bus ID: 00:02.0 
  chip ID: 8086:4c8b 
  Device-2: NVIDIA TU116 [GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER] vendor: Dell driver: N/A 
  bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 10de:2187 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: fbdev unloaded: modesetting,vesa 
  resolution: 1920x1080~77Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 10.0.0 256 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 20.0.8 
  compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
  bus ID: 00:1f.3 chip ID: 8086:f1c8 
  Device-2: NVIDIA TU116 High Definition Audio vendor: Dell 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 02:00.1 chip ID: 10de:1aeb 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-58-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 vendor: Bigfoot Networks driver: iwlwifi 
  v: kernel port: 5000 bus ID: 00:14.3 chip ID: 8086:06f0 
  Device-2: Realtek vendor: Bigfoot Networks driver: r8169 v: kernel 
  port: 3000 bus ID: 03:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:2600 
  IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: N/A used: 27.0 MiB 
RAID:
  Hardware-1: Intel Device driver: ahci v: 3.0 port: 5060 bus ID: 00:17.0 
  chip ID: 8086.06d6 rev: N/A 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 3.73 GiB used: 27.0 MiB (0.7%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Repos:
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
  1: deb cdrom:[Linux Mint 20.1 _Ulyssa_ - Release amd64 20210103]/ focal contrib main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
  1: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com ulyssa main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
  2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
  3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
  4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
  5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
  6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
Info:
  Processes: 289 Uptime: 6m Memory: 7.45 GiB used: 805.7 MiB (10.6%) 
  Init: systemd v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 9 Shell: bash 
  v: 5.0.17 running in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.0.38 
mint@mint:~$ 

I'd really like Linux on this machine, but I'm starting to think that getting it there might be way beyond my capabilities.

Thanks!
Whitefort
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Whitefort »

After a futile day spent on this, I'm honestly starting to think that this machine has been specifically designed to prevent people from installing another operating system!

I've found a few web tutorials by people who seem to have managed to get Ubuntu or Mint on an XPS 8940, but all the processes seem complex, dangerous if you make the slightest mistake, and - worst of all - the BIOS settings they say you have to change are sometimes not even PRESENT in my PC's BIOS settings.

To be honest, it's getting to the point where I'm afraid that if I keep tinkering, I'm going to lose the Windows installation, be unable to get anything else to install, and 'brick' an expensive new PC... :(

I DO NOT recommend this machine, if anyone's thinking of getting one!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

This indicates inxi thinks your computer is booting EFI mode and not Legacy BIOS, so I'm still not sure what you "turned off".

Machine:
Type: Desktop System: Dell product: XPS 8940 v: N/A serial: <filter>
Chassis: type: 3 serial: <filter>
Mobo: Dell model: 0427JK v: A00 serial: <filter> UEFI: Dell v: 2.0.11
date: 01/22/2021

This processor most likely needs to be using the 5.10-oem kernel in order to get the Intel graphics driver to install. When you buy a brand new computer, it usually means you will need a newer kernel to get the necessary drivers for your hardware.

CPU:
Topology: 6-Core model: 11th Gen Intel Core i5-11400 bits: 64 type: MT MCP

Graphics:
Device-1: Intel vendor: Dell driver: N/A bus ID: 00:02.0
chip ID: 8086:4c8b
Device-2: NVIDIA TU116 [GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER] vendor: Dell driver: N/A
bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 10de:2187
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: fbdev unloaded: modesetting,vesa
resolution: 1920x1080~77Hz
OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 10.0.0 256 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 20.0.8
compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes

I would recommend using the Linux Mint 20.1 "Ulyssa" - Cinnamon (Edge, 64-bit) ISO which comes with the 5.8 kernel. Then after installing you would want to boot to Recovery Mode and install the 5.10-oem kernel. That kernel can be installed by running sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04b or you can get it in Synaptic Package Manager.
Whitefort wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:25 amI've found a few web tutorials by people who seem to have managed to get Ubuntu or Mint on an XPS 8940, but all the processes seem complex, dangerous if you make the slightest mistake, and - worst of all - the BIOS settings they say you have to change are sometimes not even PRESENT in my PC's BIOS settings.
We would need more details to be able to help you with this. In instances where a screen shot is not possible, a photograph of the options can help us to be able to help you.

Since your Windows install seems to be EFI, I would recommend staying with that for a Mint install. As I mentioned earlier, EFI is separate from Secure Boot.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
frank84
Level 2
Level 2

Post by frank84 »

Hello Whitefort,

I also purchased a Dell XPS 8940 recently. They also appended the phrase "special edition" to the one I bought. But I assume it is very similar to yours. So I would really be interested to hear if and how you were able to get Linux Mint set up on your computer.

(Some apparent differences in our hardware include I have a 11th Gen Intel Core i7-11700 processor and a 2060 Super graphics card. And I have the Killer wifi and Bluetooth.)

I am hoping that the helpful suggestions you received here solved your problems and that you are now able to run both Linux Mint and Windows just fine. But if not, I'd sure like to hear about it. Anything you can share would be appreciated.

Thanks
ve9cbc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ve9cbc »

I got Mint to install on a Dell XPS 8940 via the USB stick. There are a few housekeeping things you have to do before installing though:

1) Tap F2 while the Dell logo is on the screen. That will take you into the UEFI setup.
2) Go to the section that has Secure Boot, and uncheck it. The installation media will also tell you this when you try to install Mint (and yes I found out the hard way). :) :lol:
3) Find the section that has boot from PXE, etc. Uncheck that option, and select the second option (which I can't remember how it's worded right now).
4) In the Boot Media selection, make sure you select your USB stick as the first drive to boot from. Possibly will also work with the CD-ROM drive.
5) Save the setup before exiting UEFI setup. Then click Exit. It will automatically boot for you.

When the machine boots, it should take you to the Linux Mint boot menu. Then from there you can install Linux Mint properly.

I hope that helps you with your installation. Mint is incredibly fast on the machine! :shock: Of course I just replaced a machine that was 17 years old with this new one - so it would be faster to me! Also make sure that any Linux OS that you try to install on these machines is UEFI capable. I spent an entire afternoon trying to install Debian that was for my old computer. Didn't have enough coffee that day - obviously! :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”