Is it possible to install direct from HD and not use USB?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Delbruck
Level 3
Level 3

Is it possible to install direct from HD and not use USB?

Post by Delbruck »

I have a PC with 2 separate physical hard drives. One is blank and one is running Windows 10.
Do I have to create a bootable USB and boot to it in order to install Mint? Is it possible to just install directly from a HD or something?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Is it possible to install direct from HD and not use USB?

Post by Larry78723 »

The Mint iso file will need to be burned to either a USB or DVD. I am unaware of any method to do it directly from windows HD.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Some time ago - 5 years? more? - I read a procedure on how to do that. Pretty sure it was here on the Mint forums, but I could be wrong. I think it was something like adding the Mint iso to the boot menu, then reboot. Seems like there were some tricks involved in it. Even if you can find it, I wouldn't count on it still working 5+ years later.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Delbruck
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Delbruck »

Thank you both. I ended up doing the USB thing. Darn shame as the HD was empty and I just feel like there should have been some way for me to just plop it on there. But it's done and I rolling with it.
Thanks again.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Some time ago - 5 years? more? - I read a procedure on how to do that. Pretty sure it was here on the Mint forums, but I could be wrong.
me too Jim--can't find it either though.
The op mentioned
plop it on there
That made me think--was it the Plop Boot Manager that could do this?
but in review of that very capable utility--I think not.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Delbruck wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:03 pm I have a PC with 2 separate physical hard drives. One is blank and one is running Windows 10.
Do I have to create a bootable USB and boot to it in order to install Mint? Is it possible to just install directly from a HD or something?
I've most often installing Linux Mint or any Linux distro straight from a ssd ( doesn't matter if it's connected internally via sata cables...or externally with a usb 3.0 - to - sata notebook storage drive as found here..... https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-SAT ... 296&sr=8-3 ) as the install speed over even usb 3.0 is night and day difference.

Externally connected hdd or ssd steps:

1. Delete all partitions on the drive and then select to Format the drive using " Disks " to ext4
2. Use " Usb Image Writer" ( which is already installed/built into Linux Mint.I think..if not Software Manager has it) to load the iso into that drive.

3. Shut down PC, unplug your current LM 20.1 drive ( or whatever other distro's drive) and connect another drive so you don't risk your current disto's drive ( this is a BETA ...after all), power on the pc, spam the del key or whatever fkey that gets you to your uefi/bios, select that externally connected hdd or ssd as the 1st boot device. f10, then enter to save and exit.

4. The rest is basically self explanatory. Select the top option after you PC has finished with P.O.S.T.( which is just regular Mint *desktop flavor here*) and you know the drill, but .... at the end of it DON'T select " restart now "

Instead..select " continue testing". This way you can manually gui or terminal-way shut down that pc, and you'll know 100% when you can disconnect the external hdd or ssd that you used to install LM 20.2 with without having to guess. Some say the UEFI selected drive install option from within bios/uefi makes this step unneeded, but I've had mixed results and just play it stay sticking to " continue testing". I don't have time to bs around having to be stuck in a restart/reinstallation loop.

5. Disconnect that external hdd or ssd, power the pc back on, change the boot order to the newly installed 20.2 drive, and away you go.

<<< Internally>>>

If you connect the hdd or ssd to be used as the Mint 20.2 installer drive ..internally, ensure that pc is powered down completely first. Then connect it, then power it back on, and select to boot it it first.

The rest is exactly the same as above. I just testing these exact steps with Mint 20.2 cinnamon and as usual. It just worked. :D
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

a good point. 8)
This method still requires writing the image to an intermediate device before installation (ssd instead of flash/dvd medium).
I think the op's objective is to install the live desktop environment directly from the downloaded .iso without an intermediary
Certainly, as you have pointed out, an ssd would be supersonic as the intermediary medium though
Cheers
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Installation & Boot”