How do I switch between two operating systems in bios.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RizReX4406
Level 1
Level 1

How do I switch between two operating systems in bios.

Post by RizReX4406 »

Hi, I'm new to Linux, and I wanna install Linux Mint next to WIndows 10.
I have 40 gigs of unallocated space on disc which I will use while installing Linux, but how will I be able to access Windows 10 back?
I don't mean dual boot, cause I simply don't need it, I mean I wanna go back to Windows because maybe I can't do a task in Linux, then will both partitions show up in boot manager after I open it at startup?
If you know, please reply as quick as possible.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How do I switch between two operating systems in bios.

Post by ajgreeny »

It sounds as if you need to use Mint as a virtual install using vmware or virtualbox.

I can not help with Windows as host but you may be able to find plenty of help for that situation if you're prepared to look for more information or wait for others to reply.
RizReX4406
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RizReX4406 »

I mean, I wanna install Linux on the same disc (other partition) as Windows, cause I wanna go back if I make something wrong, after I successfully install Linux I will move my files and other stuff and delete Windows 10, just make sure I don't spoil my ssd again
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

In order to access an operating system through BIOS I believe that you need the operating systems installed on completely separate hard disks/ssd.
That way you can use BIOS to select a particular disk/ssd at startup & so load that operating system.

If you have multiple operating systems installed on the same hard disk then you need a boot loader (like Grub) that loads after BIOS has finished in order to select which operating system on the disk/ssd starts.
That is generally called dual boot.

Also, 40GB of space to run Mint on a regular basis seems a bit light to me. I think that is why, maybe. user ajgreeny suggests that you might be better off using a Virtual machine.

But a good first step for you is probably to download the flavour of Mint that you like the look of & then create a bootable USB of that.
Use BIOS to select to boot from the USB & then run Mint as a live session. From that you can open a terminal & enter

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxrz
& paste the terminal output back here using the code symbols (</>) in the menu of your reply.

This will tell everybody how Mint 'sees' you computer & so should aid better advice..
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

RizReX4406, it sounds to me like what you want is a dual boot system, even though you have said you don't want it. With a dual boot system, you get to pick which OS you want to run each time you start the computer.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Installation & Boot”