Printer install problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
longshanks68
Level 2
Level 2

Printer install problem

Post by longshanks68 »

Hi,
I have posted before on this subject so apologies for any repetition
Try as I may I just cannot get my Samsung laser printer Xpress ML 2026 too install and work on my Mint Cinnamon 19.2 system. It shows up in "Printers localhost" but when called upon there not even a peep from the printer. I have downloaded a print driver from the H.P. site uld_V1.00.39_01.17.tar.gz which sites in my download folder and is unpacked and ready to go but still nothing. Why is it so difficult to get printers to work in linux? has anyone else ever got this make and model too install and work?
Some help please as I am fairly new to linux
regards
Brian
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zulu95
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Printer install problem

Post by Zulu95 »

I went through what you are going through when I had a Canon printer in 19/.2/.3. It was a royal pain to get it and keep it working. I gave up and bought a HP color laser. (HP Color LaserJet Pro M281CDW) Works like a charm as long as I am on the right network. I have three wi-fi networks operating. If you want to continue with your existing printer I wish you GL but suggest going with a more LINUX friendly printer. Life is too short to always do it he hard way.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

It's so difficult because some manufacturers make a conscious decision to not support Linux. What often happens is that the Linux developers finally get enough information to reverse engineer a driver that, at least partially, works with the offending printer. The only option for Linux users, if we want our printers to 'just work', and to work out of the box, is to research to find out what we want to buy before we lay down the cash. I stay with HP printers because HP supports Linux, and has for as long as I can remember (and that's back into the 90's), and I still check the models that I might want to buy to be absolutely certain. It just isn't worth the headaches to get a non-supported printer to maybe work.
longshanks68
Level 2
Level 2

Post by longshanks68 »

Many thanks for your replies, I might add that this same printer worked before on an earlier Mint installation.

Return to “Installation & Boot”