Home partition during installation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Home partition during installation

Post by deepakdeshp »

You can choose to have different partitions with your choice of sizes or you can install Mint in a single partition in which case home etc will be part of it.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

BarateGites wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:36 pm While installing and choosing the 'Erase disk and install Linux Mint' option. How much space does the installer allocate to root, swap, home? Are these values efficient? Or do I need to choose manually partition to get efficient values?
When you choose that option the installer puts everything in a single partition, so you really don't need to worry about how much space is allocated to root and home. I'm not sure what the Mint installer does with swap these days, or maybe it depends on how much ram and disk space is available during install. My 1TB SSD gets partitioned into two partitions: EFI (FAT) and Filesystem (ext4). I have 32GB ram so no need for swap?
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

If automated installation has lots of advantages for people not familiar with Linux (especially the Linux File System), a custom installation is always better suited to specific needs.
Just to give an example, my computer badly woke up from hibernation and I had to reinstall. Fortunately, having a separate /home folder allowed me an easy install after which I instantly had all my customization working fine.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I'm not sure what the Mint installer does with swap these days
By default it sets up a 2GB swap file.
Are these values efficient? Or do I need to choose manually partition to get efficient values?
Depends on whether you are booting UEFI or legacy?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:32 pm
I'm not sure what the Mint installer does with swap these days
By default it sets up a 2GB swap file.
Oh, ok.. that's why we don't bother with swap partitions anymore. Thank you for that :D
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404

Return to “Installation & Boot”