System Reporter hangs installing multimedia codecs as libavcodec-extra58 isn't available

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
doubledodge
Level 1
Level 1

System Reporter hangs installing multimedia codecs as libavcodec-extra58 isn't available

Post by doubledodge »

I am still using an old 32 bit ACER Aspire-3690 and recently updated from Mint 18.3 to mint 19.3 now Mint 18 is no longer in support.

Install runs fine and after a bit of a fight re-adding the driver for the Broadcom 4318 Wifi Driver (installing firmware-b43-installer and using b43-fwcutter to extract the necessary driver) things seem to run OK and I can install all the necessary security etc updates

The problem comes after System Reporter helpfully installs the suggested language packs and then prompts me to install Multimedia Codecs. After churning for a minute or so it then flags the message up "Package libavcodec-extra58 isn't available". Something is wrong with the logic because Mint 19 only comes with libavcodec-extra57

Clicking OK just leaves the System Reporter churning away for ever using most of the the CPU until I kill the process. Every reboot up pops the System Reporter in the system tray with the exclamation mark warning.

The solution turns out to be to manually install mint-meta-codecs using Synaptic Package Manager. Once this meta package is installed System Reporter seems happy and I am free from the system tray exclamation mark warning.

so - problem solved :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Installation & Boot”