Linux Mint installation slipping

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BPowell1999
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint installation slipping

Post by BPowell1999 »

Hey all;

I've just come back from using Debian for a little while. I used Linux Mint 18.2 all the way through to 19.3 before I switched Debian 10 for a little while. My memory of Linux Mint is that it was an out-of-the-box "it just works" experience - but having just installed 20.1, I must admit that the experience was very different.

One of the strangest matters was that with my dual-screen setup, the "mouse hitboxes" were reversed, in a way. A window and the taskbar would appear on screen 2, but in order to interact with them, I'd have to click the same seemingly blank position on screen 1. It's very strange behaviour I've never seen before. Installing Nvidia graphics drivers this way is very difficult, but it does resolve the issue once it's complete.

Furthermore, the driver manager crashed while I was trying to install the Nvidia drivers - all updates were installed and a reboot completed beforehand. And finally, the permissions of the files in my home directory were missed up after installation. Trying to change the desktop background from the right-click menu failed and trying to do so from the settings manager caused it to freeze. After using a find command to alter permissions fixed the problem.

For any diagnostic purposes, I installed Linux Mint on a 500 GB SSD and used the entire disk with recommended partitions, LVM and full disk encryption with secure-boot enabled. My PC has the primary monitor on the right directly in front of me and the secondary monitor on the left at an angle with an Nvidia GPU.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Linux Mint installation slipping

Post by Moonstone Man »

BPowell1999 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:53 pm For any diagnostic purposes...
For diagnostic purposes, you might like to click the link at the top of the page. You can't miss it, it's in red and says...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Pay particular attention to item 5. If you reply with code from a terminal, wrap it in code tags [code]output.here[/code]. You'll see the code tags icon </> when you reply.
BPowell1999
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BPowell1999 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:04 am
BPowell1999 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:53 pm For any diagnostic purposes...
For diagnostic purposes, you might like to click the link at the top of the page. You can't miss it, it's in red and says...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Pay particular attention to item 5. If you reply with code from a terminal, wrap it in code tags [code]output.here[/code]. You'll see the code tags icon </> when you reply.
I'm not entirely sure why you're quoting the rules to me, nor am I sure why you're instructing me on the use of a fundamental forum feature which you already know I can use from my other posts you've commented on lately.

I'm not asking for technical support for the installation process - it's already been fixed. I'm simply pointing out the issues that I had so that if anyone else has these issues, they can say so and I'll look into the issues further and make a more detailed report about my findings.

If you're wondering why I haven't posted the "find" command I used, it's simply because I don't have it to hand. I copied it from another post and could probably find it again if need be, but for now it doesn't seem worth it. For all I know, my unique combination of circumstances and my setup could be the sole cause of these issues - in which case they'd be so novel that any results I turned up would be all but useless anyway, so why should I bother investigating?

The reason for this post is that if several people state that they've had similar issues and the problems are not so novel, then my doing and investigation and reporting my findings in detail both here and as bugs would be warranted.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

I'm not asking for technical support...
Screenshot_20210621_153112.jpg
viewforum.php?f=6
viewforum.php?f=60
BPowell1999
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BPowell1999 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:34 am
I'm not asking for technical support...
Screenshot_20210621_153112.jpg

viewforum.php?f=6
viewforum.php?f=60
If you've got a point to make, please make it because I'm failing to see it right now. Otherwise please stop following me around the forum and disagreeing with everything I say just for the hell of it.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

BPowell1999 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:38 am Otherwise please stop following me around the forum and disagreeing with everything I say just for the hell of it.
If you believe there is a problem to be resolved, get the moderators involved.

Return to “Installation & Boot”