Luks/os encryption during linux mint installation, how to apply custom iteration value?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintIsBest
Level 1
Level 1

Luks/os encryption during linux mint installation, how to apply custom iteration value?

Post by MintIsBest »

Hello dear mint community:),

I want to fully switch to Linux(-Mint). I currently use W10 but I'm not happy with it. For the new LM installation I want to use the full disk encryption with a strong custom Iter-time/ Iteration value. I loved Vera crypt for that reason on W10, it uses something called 'PIM' which adds another security layer (Iteration) to encrypted containers.

Is there a way to adjust this value during the installation of LM? I would instantly change my main os and delete my W10 if that was possible, thanks for reading and I hope You have a good day!:)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Luks/os encryption during linux mint installation, how to apply custom iteration value?

Post by t42 »

MintIsBest wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:55 am I loved Vera crypt for that reason on W10, it uses something called 'PIM' which adds another security layer (Iteration) to encrypted containers.
...of course you're aware the same VeraCrypt is available on Linux too.

As for an iteration thing, unluckily it is time-limited and can't be modified. Anyway you can create LUKS encrypted partition manually before the installation of the new system.
-=t42=-
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Luks/os encryption during linux mint installation, how to apply custom iteration value?

Post by deepakdeshp »

I would advise against encryption.Use veracrypt instead.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

deepakdeshp wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:10 am I would advise against encryption.Use veracrypt instead.
+1

If you are new to linux full disk encryption is a bad idea. Screw up and the only way out is a re-install losing your data. Veracrypt containers are a much better idea.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Installation & Boot”