(Solved) Macbook Pro - Will not boot into Cinnamon Anymore - Possible Nouveau driver or VRAM Limit issue?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Armanno303
Level 1
Level 1

(Solved) Macbook Pro - Will not boot into Cinnamon Anymore - Possible Nouveau driver or VRAM Limit issue?

Post by Armanno303 »

Hi all,

Earlier this year I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 onto my Macbook Pro (Mid-2010, 13 inch) to try and breath some new life into it and to learn about Linux. Had no problems for a while until today, where I can not boot into Cinnamon anymore. I get the below error message that just repeats over and over infinitely:

Code: Select all

[ 1063.009785] nouveau 0000:04:00.0: fb: trapped read at 01004c8000 on channel -1 [0fedf000 unknown] engine 06 [BAR] client 08 [PFIFO_READ] subclient 01 [IN] reason 0000000b [VRAM_LIMIT]
I did install some system updates earlier today and restarted with no issues. It was upon putting this command into the terminal from the below link instructions to disable Bluetooth permanently to save on battery, that I started getting the issue after restarting the computer.
https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-li ... to%20work.

Here are the Macbook Pro specs: https://support.apple.com/kb/sp583?locale=en_US

Any help is appreciated, I am still a bit of Linux noob to be honest. It's not the end of the world if I have to just wipe and do a clean install, but I'd rather not if possible as I finally got my settings and files set-up how I wanted.

EDIT: Despite my other timeshift backups failing, one of them in the middle seemed to work via usb boot. I restored and redownloaded the updates, without messing with the bluetooth service, and it seems to boot up ok now.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Installation & Boot”