Bios setting to boot in EFI mode

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mitch8472
Level 1
Level 1

Bios setting to boot in EFI mode

Post by mitch8472 »

I installed Linux Mint after failing to install Kodachi OS and was unable to boot. I was forced to erase the hard drive so there is no longer a partition. I had to use the boot repair disk I made so it would boot up again, but I still have problems with it booting up intermittently. Every time I try to use the boot repair disk it could not make changes because it said I had to make bios changes.

The boot disk said this: "The current session is in bios compatibility mode".
And this: " disable Bios compatibility/CSM/Legacy mode in UEFI firmware".

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Bios setting to boot in EFI mode

Post by gittiest personITW »

Welcome to the forums.

Do you know how to get into UEFi/BIOS settings on your machine?

When you boot up there might be a message saying something like 'press F2 to enter settings'.

Once in those settings, look through the pages and see if you can disable what it has told you (Bios compatibility/CSM/Legacy).
While you are there, see if you can disable 'Secure boot' also as this will cut down on the problems you are likely to get when installing Linux of any flavour.

Let us know how it goes or if you need more info.
bendipa
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bendipa »

To start with, boot into Live Mint (on your usb drive), and run command sudo parted -l, and post up output into your question.
Computer: Dell Vostro 470
Systems: Linux Mint 21.2 Xfce (Victoria), Manjaro 23.1 Xfce (Vulcan), Windows 10 (22H2) Pro.
mitch8472
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mitch8472 »

gittiest personITW wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:06 am Welcome to the forums.

Do you know how to get into UEFi/BIOS settings on your machine?

When you boot up there might be a message saying something like 'press F2 to enter settings'.

Once in those settings, look through the pages and see if you can disable what it has told you (Bios compatibility/CSM/Legacy).
While you are there, see if you can disable 'Secure boot' also as this will cut down on the problems you are likely to get when installing Linux of any flavour.

Let us know how it goes or if you need more info.
At boot up there is no message saying press F2 to enter settings.
Should I press F2 to enter settings at start up the same way I had to press F12 to install Linux Mint?
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Its hard to say as you don't say what machine you've got.
Best thing is to read the manual or look up your model on a search engine.
mitch8472
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mitch8472 »

gittiest personITW wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:37 am Its hard to say as you don't say what machine you've got.
Best thing is to read the manual or look up your model on a search engine.
Okay. I looked up the owners manual for an emachines EL1358G and it says press the delete key for the setup utility menus. There is "advanced bios features" and "bios security features" on that menu. Which one should I choose?
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Go into bios security features and turn off Secure Boot, then go into Advanced Bios Features and select UEFI boot.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
mitch8472
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mitch8472 »

Larry78723 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:06 am Go into bios security features and turn off Secure Boot, then go into Advanced Bios Features and select UEFI boot.
I tried that. There was nothing in bios security features that said secure boot and nothing in Advanced Bios Features that said UEFI.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

In the CMOS/BIOS settings, under Intergrated Peripherals - - - -Legacy USB Support. Set to disable. See if that helps.
mitch8472
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mitch8472 »

gittiest personITW wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:35 pm In the CMOS/BIOS settings, under Intergrated Peripherals - - - -Legacy USB Support. Set to disable. See if that helps.
I did that and there was no change. It would not boot up afterwards and the boot repair disk said the same thing as before.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/39136 ... =17#manual

The boot up fails intermittently just as before. This is very frustrating. Why can't they make it user friendly? It is as if my computer was designed to be difficult to figure out.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

mitch8472 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:53 am I installed Linux Mint ...... and was unable to boot. I was forced to erase the hard drive so there is no longer a partition. I had to use the boot repair disk I made so it would boot up again, ....
The text or translation is confused.
Is there Linux Mint installed on the hard drive?
If so, let's check in which mode it was installed.
Boot the Linux Mint installed on the hard drive and post the command output:
[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "EFI boot on HDD" || echo "Legacy boot on HDD"
mitch8472
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mitch8472 »

ricardogroetaers wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:16 am
mitch8472 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:53 am I installed Linux Mint ...... and was unable to boot. I was forced to erase the hard drive so there is no longer a partition. I had to use the boot repair disk I made so it would boot up again, ....
It is installed on the hard drive.
I do not know how to post the command output. This is all new to me.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

mitch8472 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:34 am I do not know how to post the command output. This is all new to me.
Simple:
Open a terminal window (command prompt), copy and paste the command, press <enther>.

Code: Select all

Note: Never copy and paste a command from a translated page. View the page in the original language, in this case, English.
Attachments
Captura de tela_2021-06-26_06-45-19.png
mitch8472
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mitch8472 »

ricardogroetaers wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:46 am
mitch8472 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:34 am I do not know how to post the command output. This is all new to me.
Simple:
Open a terminal window (command prompt), copy and paste the command, press <enther>.

Note: Never copy and paste a command from a translated page. View the page in the original language, in this case, English.
How do I open a terminal window? I have never done that before.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

how to open a terminal

Post by pdc_2 »

to issue the command; you need a working linux system;

so use

1) an installed Mint; if working or

2) boot up from the live USB disk;

from either, look for the black TV screen icon; on the menu bar; usually about 3 away from the Menu icon in the corner;

.......... or hold down the Control and the Alt and the t key all at once .......... like playing a trumpet ........... that should open the terminal .......

the top of the terminal menu bar ...............has EDIT ............ scroll down inside that to find ................ PASTE .............. and also .......................... COPY ....................
mitch8472
Level 1
Level 1

Re: how to open a terminal

Post by mitch8472 »

pdc_2 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:42 pm to issue the command; you need a working linux system;

so use

1) an installed Mint; if working or

2) boot up from the live USB disk;

from either, look for the black TV screen icon; on the menu bar; usually about 3 away from the Menu icon in the corner;

.......... or hold down the Control and the Alt and the t key all at once .......... like playing a trumpet ........... that should open the terminal .......

the top of the terminal menu bar ...............has EDIT ............ scroll down inside that to find ................ PASTE .............. and also .......................... COPY ....................
I was in the terminal before and I copy and pasted it there in the standard way and pressed enter. It did nothing. I'm not sure why the copy and paste in the edit part is relevant.
mitch8472
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mitch8472 »

ricardogroetaers wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:16 am
Are you sure this is correct?

I copy and pasted it in the terminal and pressed enter. Is that what I was supposed to do or did I skip an important step?
mitch8472
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mitch8472 »

This what came up when I pasted the command in the terminal:

-d: command not found
Legacy boot on HDD
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Paste in terminal

ls sys/firmware/efi 
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

mitch8472 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:32 am Legacy boot on HDD
If you booted the system from the hard drive and executed the command, the output says that the system is installed in BIOS (legacy) mode.
So if you change the "setup" of the machine to UEFI mode, this system will not boot.

As for the "repair disk", I don't know him.
Check on the developer's website if the software contained in the "repair disk" can repair booting systems installed in 2 modes (BIOS and UEFI) indistinctly.
My first contact with "Boot-Repair", which comes on the Mint installation media, was not pleasant.

Return to “Installation & Boot”