Failing to install Mint 20.2 Cinnamon on MintBox Mini2 Pro

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
patmolloy
Level 1
Level 1

Failing to install Mint 20.2 Cinnamon on MintBox Mini2 Pro

Post by patmolloy »

I am trying to install fresh a copy of Mint 20.2 Cinnamon on my MintBox Mini2 Pro. I have also tried Mint 20 with the same results. I have updated to the latest BIOS and have tried different SSDs and USB keys (written with different software incl Etcher).

The installation proceeds normally, the two partitions are created and then at about 1/3 progress on the progress bar, I invariably get "The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk" [Errno 5] input/output error.

Sometimes preceded by a message (or a few) that a given file did not match its source copy on the installation media.

I'm a bit stuck. Not the SSD, Not the USB source. Is there a BIOS setting I need to change? What else could be going wrong? Memory? How to test the memory?

Thanks so much
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SimonPeter
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Failing to install Mint 20.2 Cinnamon on MintBox Mini2 Pro

Post by SimonPeter »

Have you verified your downloaded ISO file , as per the instructions given at https://linuxmint.com/verify.php ?
patmolloy wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:10 am Memory? How to test the memory?
Boot up a live USB flashed with an OS with memtest (like MX Linux etc.,) and select memtest in the GRUB menu.

EDIT: Sorry for the inadvertent error (or rather, a bug with this forum website).
linuxmint.com/verify.php within the url tags leads to https://forums.linuxmint.com/linuxmint.com/verify.php
Last edited by SimonPeter on Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
patmolloy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by patmolloy »

Thanks, it was indeed the memory. And yes, had verified the .iso. I found a replacement 8GB stick, but having a hard time tracking down a replacement for the original Crucial 16GB stick at a sensible price!

Still not at all plain sailing; 20 and 20.2 are unhappy but 19.3 is fine. I have not spent time problem solving so far but get the Initramfs unpacking failed issue.

Might try 19.3 -> 20 and see how that goes!

Thanks for the help.

Pat
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

patmolloy wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:09 am I have not spent time problem solving so far but get the Initramfs unpacking failed issue.
You can ignore that and deal with later.
patmolloy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by patmolloy »

Unfortunately, after that message pops up, then nothing else happens at all. Blank screen. Both on 20 and 20.2

Return to “Installation & Boot”