Tricia 19.3 Login Loop After 100% Capacity

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kenkeknem
Level 1
Level 1

Tricia 19.3 Login Loop After 100% Capacity

Post by Kenkeknem »

I have looked at other threads with a similar error, I have booted to terminal with Alt+Ctrl+F1 and followed the directions. I have a rather different set up.
I boot to a 250GB SSD (that seems to be 100% full due to a blunder of my own making), my Home volume is on a 1TB spinning disk. I have several drives in this computer for data storage of my YouTube videos. I also have other computers on a network that share these drives so I can video edit on any machine. I was transferring my 2TB drive contents to a 4TB drive using Gsync. Well really I was filling up my SSD because I was not actually mounted on the 4TB drive I was dumping the files into /media/barry/4TB folder on the SSD. I have deleted the contents of the /media/barry/4TB but I still can't get my desk top to load. What can I safely dump on my boot drive so I can remedy the 100% full situation?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Tricia 19.3 Login Loop After 100% Capacity

Post by Larry78723 »

If you find a need to make space on your / partition, these are safe commands to use to do so by copy and paste, one at a time, into your terminal...If you have never done these, you might find quite a bit the first time, but very little thereafter.

Kernel and other Cleanups after Deletions:

Code: Select all

sudo apt autoclean

sudo apt autoremove --purge
Clear the Thumbnail Cache:

rm -v -f ~/.cache/thumbnails/*/*.png ~/.thumbnails/*/*.png
Clear Miscellaneous Detritus:

dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}' | sudo xargs dpkg --purge
Clear DNS Cache:

sudo systemd-resolve --flush-caches
Flush Journald:

sudo journalctl --rotate

sudo journalctl --vacuum-time=1s
Do this last one ONLY if you are using an SSD drive:

Manual SSD TRIM:

sudo fstrim -av
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Kenkeknem
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Tricia 19.3 Login Loop After 100% Capacity

Post by Kenkeknem »

Thanks for the tips. I did manage to free up a few gigs of space with your suggestions but still can't load the graphical interface, I will do some more searching on here because what was removed should be enough to get Cinnamon to load.
Kenkeknem
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Re: Tricia 19.3 Login Loop After 100% Capacity

Post by Kenkeknem »

Wow! what a fight but I managed to get my desktop back.
All the files were in /root/.local/share/Trash/files deleting these files just made a folder .0Trash so the drive was still full. I managed to boot in with a USB and navigate to the mount point and use baobab as sudo then shift delete. Trying to navigate in to the /root folder was a challenge as when I used "sudo cd" it would just error out.

Return to “Installation & Boot”