[SOLVED - GPU issue] The Debbie - Uma Experiment

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED - GPU issue] The Debbie - Uma Experiment

Post by Aztaroth »

Hi all, reading all the threads about LMDE4 and Mint (which is better, quicker, nicer...), I decided to put an experiment and invite everyone who's willing to join the party.

Abstract of the experiment :
Very happy with Tricia 19.3 still running fine on computers in my neighborhood (wife, daughter), I wasn't impressed by the first releases of Mint 20 and switched to LMDE4 'Debbie' which works fine for me but will probably be too difficult to manage for the neighborhood I spoke before. So, guessing that although Uma 20.2 is not the final mature version (which will be 20.3), I thought it probably got rid of youth issues and is worth a try.

To be fair, this experiment is also conducted to help me learn a lot from those who'll join. I think of me as an advanced user, not an expert and least of all a 'guru'. Maybe some others could also learn something, which will be perfect. Feel also free to tell if it seems the idea of a lunatic to you or if it may contain some interest.

First help I'll need is of one of the moderators if he thinks the topic should be placed elsewhere.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Re: The Debbie - Uma Experiment

Post by Aztaroth »

So, how will the comparison take place :
- the steps will be as identical as possible and manually Timeshifted.
- installation in dual boot on a 520 Gb SSD fairly shared in two. However, LMDE4 can't be installed automatically because some bug in the installation script (at least in my language - French). So, its 260 Gb part is 60 for / and 200 for /home. Uma could be installed automatically.
For the easiness of installation, UMA 1 - DEBBIE 0

- a second 2TB HDD labelled as DATAS is permanently mounted in both systems (no need to say everything's ext4 formatted) so they can easily share files without nosing in each other's file system or use sym- or hard links. It also hosts Debbie's Timeshift.
- a third 3 TB HDD with movies, video docs, pics, audios is also mounted by default and hosts Uma's Timeshift.

- for each step, anyone may join in, proven his idea has some sense of course. Timeshift should give the opportunity of more than one try.
- we have all our time to think. It's not my working computer but the one I use for leasure, so as long as audio and video run, I'm happy. I'm a VLC fan but I can wait and do the job with Celluloid.

- Until now, I made 2 timeshifted steps which aren't debattable in my mind :
STEP 1 : installation OOB
STEP 2 : all updates recommended by the distro done
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

- I have a network NAS part of my box (Provider : Freebox for those who know). Uma can't access to it immediately saying Windows Sharing doesn't allow it. Debbie can as 'Anonymous' and has immediate read/write access to this disk.
For easiness of network access, UMA 0 - DEBBIE 1
TOTAL UMA 1 - DEBBIE 1
(it might be debatable if this easy access is a security weakness, but Windows shares were never bullet proof either).
What would be most welcome is the solution taking in account that they were issues with my box only supporting SMB 1.0 client/server protocol. This would be the next step, at least for Uma.

PS : I know the first thing you'll all ask is the inxi -Fxxxz of both systems. Next post will provide them. As I'm touchy about privacy, I use custom hosts, a VPN, sometimes TOR when connecting. These would have already altered the confs. So, I'm posting from my laptop which isn't part of the experiment.
SimonPeter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SimonPeter »

Aztaroth wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:57 am Abstract of the experiment :
Very happy with Tricia 19.3 still running fine on computers in my neighborhood (wife, daughter), I wasn't impressed by the first releases of Mint 20 and switched to LMDE4 'Debbie' which works fine for me but will probably be too difficult to manage for the neighborhood I spoke before. So, guessing that although Uma 20.2 is not the final mature version (which will be 20.3), I thought it probably got rid of youth issues and is worth a try.
Those problems are probably from problems with the upstream Ubuntu 20.04 .
(Ubuntu doesn't value stability / FOSS as much as Debian does)
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

Hello,
I initiated this topic because I had recurrent problems with both Uma and Debbie from clean install. I suspected the distros because I did nothing else than follow the normal way : installing from an ISO on USB key and install all recommended updates. And then the troubles started.
My chain, when facing such problems, is :
1) Did I do something wrong ?
2) Is an upgrade mixing the OS ?
3) others...

As I could exclude 1) because I just did what was recommended, I tried exploring 2) with this topic.
But the solution was 3) : my GPU, even working, was slowly failing and it's dead now. Of course, I put a new one in the computer and everything's OK now.
My apologies to the ladies :D (Uma and Debbie), but this slow failure happened during the Cinnamon upgrade, so I suspected this before the hardware.

For me, the topic has no further interest because based of a false premise and if any moderator reads it, I'll be glad if he simply removes it or tells me how to do it if I have to.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

just edit your first post and put (SOLVED - GPU issue) in the title :)
The thread may still be helpful for others with similar symptons

Return to “Installation & Boot”