Underscore blinking on boot after moving SSD to other PC

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lowzyyy
Level 1
Level 1

Underscore blinking on boot after moving SSD to other PC

Post by lowzyyy »

Hi,
I have dual boot PC like this:
-nvme windows
-sata ssd linux mint cinamon

Grub is installed on nvme.

I have my old pc and wanted to use that pc with linux so i put SSD to that pc and tried to boot.
It said: "no such partition grub rescue>"

So i put that SSD in my new PC and tried to boot like always. MINT logo showed up and after that black screen with underscore blinking.
After that i tried to boot into recovery mode from grub(it has about 8 or 10 the same entries called "linux mint recovery"). Boot into recovery check update grub and continue to boot.
This time it booted but it wants gpu drivers. I installed and it had to restart. Now again wont boot.
I tried the same entry for recovery (one of the ten) and now it wont boot. Tried next entry and now boot is successful again.

So now i have about 5 recovery entries left to try until it wont boot.

I tried comand install grub on this ssd but nothing changed.

What is going on here?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Underscore blinking on boot after moving SSD to other PC

Post by AndyMH »

Grub is installed on nvme.
That was the start of your problems, no bootloader on the ssd so no way to boot.

It may also have been complicated by the new PC being being uefi boot and the old PC being legacy boot. Can you confirm the boot modes on both PCs?
MINT logo showed up and after that black screen
When the mint logo appears press the Esc key, it should show you what it is trying to do - what are the error messages?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
lowzyyy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Underscore blinking on boot after moving SSD to other PC

Post by lowzyyy »

New pc is uefi but i think that old pc is uefi too but i cant confirm that because i dont have any system on it. When i try to boot linux bootable usb in bios it has uefi option so i think its uefi too.

Old system is:
Asrock 970 pro3
Fx 4100

New system is:
Gigabyte b550 aorus pro
Ryzen 5900x

Now i cant even see mint logo, it goes straight to the black screen and blinking underscore.

Why i cant boot linux on the new pc anymore (without recovery mode) ?

Can we somehow install grub on the ssd and get it to work on both pc because i cant even use it on the new one...

Return to “Installation & Boot”