Boot problem - / does not get decrypted & mounted

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mad_Max1981
Level 1
Level 1

Boot problem - / does not get decrypted & mounted

Post by Mad_Max1981 »

Hi,

I have an issue with my system. Its a Mint Cinnamon 20.1 with an encrypted ssd. It worked fine until the latest update and reboot, and now the behavior is this:

1. I always get into grub menu and have to choose what to do
2. When I choose the normal boot, I get to the disk decryption screen (so far so good)
3. When entering the (correct) password, it takes some time - far more then normal and finally prints: Gave up waiting for suspend/resume device
4. It prints: ALERT! /dev/mapper/mint--vg-root does not exist. and I end up in (initramfs) ash

I tried to decrypt and mount the partition (/dev/sda3) with

Code: Select all

sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda3 luks
but I get: Cannot use device /dev/sda3 which is in use (already mapped or mounted).

When I boot into a live usb (19.x) I had lying around, I can decrypt and mount and see my data with

sudo vgchange --activate y
sudo mount /dev/mapper/mint--vg-root /mnt
How can I get my system bootable again? I could make a backup of my data and then reinstall everything but I would rather not (reinstall, the backup I am starting just now) :-)

I have kernels 5.4.0-80 and 5.4.0-77 installed and both only get me into Busybox / (initramfs)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Boot problem - / does not get decrypted & mounted

Post by deepakdeshp »

Encrypted data is difficult to recover. I dont use encryption. Does this help?viewtopic.php?f=42&t=315207
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Mad_Max1981
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mad_Max1981 »

Hi,
thanks for your answer. :wink:

I guess that would work to do the backup :) I did a pretty similar thing, as I booted a live usb and put the commands from my first post to decrypt and mount into the terminal to access my data. I am copying the data right now onto my server.

So the access / backup of the data is not an issue.

My next conclusion therefor is that the ssd / the partition is not the issue. I have read some threads which had the same behaviour I encountered but having no encryption. I tried to apply the fixed suggested in these threads (usually they use fsck to fix bad blocks) but I wasnt successful.

Even now with the decrypted and mounted partition fsck does nothing.

I could reinstall Mint, but as I would have to reinstall all my software and apply my custom settings I would rather try to fix the system first.
stormlash
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stormlash »

I am new to Linux...

However, I had the same issue ( I believe) just now with an Encrypted drive that would not boot after the newest update...

I did the "hold shift" at boot to access "advanced options for linux mint..."

At the new Recovery Menu I selected " dpkg"

Asked for my Encryption PW

The system went through some stuff, ended up back at the "recovery Menu" Then selected Resume Normal boot.

Booted up correctly this time, however, Graphics driver appeared to be uninstalled or missing? Ran updates, rebooted, back to normal.

Have yet to update again to the newest Mint version after.
Mad_Max1981
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mad_Max1981 »

Hmm, I do get into grub and when I select the advanced options, I don't have any option called dpkg :-(

I only have 4 options (boot kernel 5.4.0-80 normal or recovery mode and the same two options for 5.4.0-77) - but regardless of which one I choose I end up in BusyBox / initramfs

I am more and more coming to the conclusion that I have to do a fresh installation...
Mad_Max1981
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mad_Max1981 »

When I try to repair with a live usb and fsck via

sudo vgchange --activate y
sudo fsck /dev/mapper/mint--vg-root -y
I only get an "everything is fine" message
fsck from util-linux 2.31.1
e2fsck 1.44.1 (24-Mar-2018)
/dev/mapper/mint--vg-root: clean, 6944086/30138368 files, 61545222/120543232 blocks

Return to “Installation & Boot”