Reporting bugs - reboot after update fails on VM

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

Reporting bugs - reboot after update fails on VM

Post by windyweather »

In the past I have reported bugs for Linux Mint. But I just spent 10 min going down a rabbit warren and found no place to report a bug. So I'm dumping it here, you sort it out. I've been down the rabbit warren of LanuchPad and could find nothting about how to report a bug to Linux Mint, Ubutunt, Debian WHATEVER.,
Do I seem frusstrated? Well maybe. It appeares that the bug reporting procuedure has going down the YOU GOTTQA BE A DEEP KERNEL GEEK TO DO THIS.

So fine. Here's the bug: Of course this is AFTER the update, not the system beforfe the update which I did not know that I would need to save.

Code: Select all

System:    Kernel: 5.4.0-80-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 
           wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:   Type: Virtualbox System: innotek product: VirtualBox v: 1.2 serial: <filter> 
           Chassis: Oracle Corporation type: 1 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Oracle model: VirtualBox v: 1.2 serial: <filter> BIOS: innotek v: VirtualBox 
           date: 12/01/2006 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Zen 
           L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 31200 
           Speed: 3900 MHz min/max: N/A Core speeds (MHz): 1: 3900 2: 3900 3: 3900 4: 3900 
Graphics:  Device-1: VMware SVGA II Adapter driver: vmwgfx v: 2.15.0.0 bus ID: 00:02.0 
           chip ID: 15ad:0405 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: vmware unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
           resolution: 2560x1310~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: SVGA3D; build v: 2.1 Mesa 20.2.6 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 82801AA AC97 Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_intel8x0 v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:05.0 chip ID: 8086:2415 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-80-generic 
Network:   Device-1: Intel 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet driver: e1000 v: 7.3.21-k8-NAPI port: d020 
           bus ID: 00:03.0 chip ID: 8086:100e 
           IF: enp0s3 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Intel 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI type: network bridge driver: piix4_smbus 
           v: N/A port: d200 bus ID: 00:07.0 chip ID: 8086:7113 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 40.00 GiB used: 11.75 GiB (29.4%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: VirtualBox model: VBOX HARDDISK size: 40.00 GiB speed: 3.0 Gb/s 
           serial: <filter> 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 38.63 GiB used: 11.75 GiB (30.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5 
Sensors:   Message: No sensors data was found. Is sensors configured? 
Repos:     No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
           1: deb http: //packages.linuxmint.com ulyssa main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
           2: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
           3: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
           4: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
           5: deb http: //security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
           6: deb http: //archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
Info:      Processes: 198 Uptime: 10m Memory: 7.78 GiB used: 1.23 GiB (15.8%) Init: systemd v: 245 
           runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 9 Client: Unknown python3.8 client inxi: 3.0.38 
Environment Win 10 host / Oracle VMbox LM guest
Steps to repeat.
1. Not the fist time I've seen this.
2. Refresh / update in the update manaager.
3. It advises reboot is require due to kernel update.
4. attempt to restart.
5. Never completes. Hangs.
6. using VM Reset function from menu.
7. System boots.
8. Restart again to see if it works.
9. Restart works fine.

Spend 10 min trying to figure out how to report this.
99. GIve up and type it in here.

Have a great day. You may cut and paste this into somewhere if you like. Or not,.
And if you leave a reply I might see it and use that method to report bugs next time
Thanks a bunch.

Long long long time Linux Mint user.
BUt a little frustrated.
ww
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
[Systems include LM 20 in VirtualBox / Win 10 Host on AMD Ryzen 3800x / AsRock A300 Ryzen 3200G]
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Reporting bugs - reboot after update fails on VM

Post by Moonstone Man »

windyweather wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:47 pm ... I'm dumping it here, you sort it out ...
I take it you aren't aware that this is a user forum, for users and by users, and that there are no 'KERNEL GEEK(S) here, let alone 'DEEP' ones.

Of great note is that you haven't asked for assistance with the issue at all so there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that the problem is in fact a bug of any kind.

Code: Select all

Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
date: 12/01/2006
That might have a lot to do with it.
... Or not ...
Indeed.

Anyway, I hope you feel better now that you've vented at other Linux users.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Did you ever stop and consider that this "bug" could be related to VirtualBox and/or Windows 10? Many, many users here have updated their kernels to the same version that you're using without a hitch. I would suggest reverting back to the 5.4.0-77 kernel branch and ask on the VirtualBox forums - https://forums.virtualbox.org/ - if this has happened to anyone else.

I agree that finding a place to report general Mint bugs is not easy. On Github, there are tons of small Mint projects that bugs can be reported to, but not an all-inclusive one. I have a feeling if you were to post this on Ubuntu, you'd get a similar response to this reply.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

windyweather wrote: Environment Win 10 host / Oracle VMbox LM guest
Are you able to replicate this behavior outside of Windows/VirtualBox?
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

Post by windyweather »

JoeFootball wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:36 am
windyweather wrote: Environment Win 10 host / Oracle VMbox LM guest
Are you able to replicate this behavior outside of Windows/VirtualBox?
I have installed and upgraded some hardware systems and they did not fail the first REBOOT in this way. I have several HW as well as VM linux mint system and I'll be on the look out for this problem moving forward.

I did see another problem that I would rate as serious however:
I upgraded a HW system from 20.1 > 20.2 using the update manager, and that went ok. UNTIL i followed the recommendation to upgrade to the NVIDIA driver [Not open source one] and that bricked the system. I had to reinstall it from scratch. Just went to black screen and never displayed video on reboot. So I guess that's another bug. Apparently the proprietary nvidia driver does not work in 20.2. This system has a GTX 1050 card with two 2K monitors. It has been working fine for a few releases of Mint. This is the first DRIVER BRICK of any of my systems that I noticed.

I'll check the rest of the replies here for some updated links for reporting bugs.
Thanks.
[Systems include LM 20 in VirtualBox / Win 10 Host on AMD Ryzen 3800x / AsRock A300 Ryzen 3200G]
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

Post by windyweather »

ajgringo619 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:31 pm Did you ever stop and consider that this "bug" could be related to VirtualBox and/or Windows 10? Many, many users here have updated their kernels to the same version that you're using without a hitch. I would suggest reverting back to the 5.4.0-77 kernel branch and ask on the VirtualBox forums - https://forums.virtualbox.org/ - if this has happened to anyone else.

I agree that finding a place to report general Mint bugs is not easy. On Github, there are tons of small Mint projects that bugs can be reported to, but not an all-inclusive one. I have a feeling if you were to post this on Ubuntu, you'd get a similar response to this reply.
Well, i have noticed some minor issues over the years with VBOX and Mint, but they were never serious and resolved themselves. Yes I have posted in VBOX forums for some of these issues. But folks there tend to point back to the distro. I routinely try other distros using VBOX and they have worked just fine. Most recently Arch/Garuda. As does Mint most of the time.

But I'm not trying to sign up to do QA for Ubuntu/Mint. I'm just trying to find a convenient place to report bugs. Any links folks know of that lead to a place to report a bug for this system. I used to use a link, which was easily found, which lead to a place on launchpad to report Mint bugs. But as I said, lots of googling and searching on Launchpad lead no where reasonable. I've reported quite a few bugs over the years and it was never hard to find out how. BUt now I cannot find the link thread to follow to a form to fill out to report a bug.

Thanks,
ww
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

No help for reporting bugs?

Post by windyweather »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:45 pm [...]
Anyway, I hope you feel better now that you've vented at other Linux users.
So I gather from your reply that you don't know how to report bugs for mint either?
Isn't that something that we all should know about?

Hum... Just a thought out of nowhere.
ww
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

windyweather wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:57 pmI did see another problem that I would rate as serious however:
I upgraded a HW system from 20.1 > 20.2 using the update manager, and that went ok. UNTIL i followed the recommendation to upgrade to the NVIDIA driver [Not open source one] and that bricked the system. I had to reinstall it from scratch. Just went to black screen and never displayed video on reboot. So I guess that's another bug. Apparently the proprietary nvidia driver does not work in 20.2.
Many people are successfully using proprietary nvidia drivers in LM20.2, so your assumption is false.

You chose to reinstall from scratch instead of asking for help on the forum. That sounds like an issue others have had and have been able to solve without re-installing.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: No help for reporting bugs?

Post by Moonstone Man »

windyweather wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:10 pm So I gather from your reply that you don't know how to report bugs for mint either?
A) A bug is not a bug just because you say it's a bug.
B) Kernel bugs don't go to Mint.

QED
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

Re: No help for reporting bugs?

Post by windyweather »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:37 pm
A) A bug is not a bug just because you say it's a bug.
B) Kernel bugs don't go to Mint.

QED
Ooooooooookkkkkkkaaaaayyyyyyyyy.......
So there can be a page of links to places to report "bugs".
So we can have a page of links that include a link to the kernel bug reporting page. Maybe I don't know enough about how the system is put together to diagnose whether it's a kernel bug or not. Or whether it's Mint / Ubuntu / Debian / Base Linux Kernel. etc etc.

BTW, I'll say it's a bug when I want to and report it, and someone else can say it's a feature and close my bug. I'll do the best I can with "searches" on the bug reporting site to avoid reporting duplicates. This is not my first rodeo. After 40 years in software development I know the drill.

You all have a great day.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Is there a reason you're using a 2006 version of VirtualBox? The current version is 6.1.26.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

Post by windyweather »

Larry78723 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:32 am Is there a reason you're using a 2006 version of VirtualBox? The current version is 6.1.26.
Not clear why you think I'm using a version from 2006. I update my VBox installation frequently. Just today in fact.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Larry78723 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:32 am Is there a reason you're using a 2006 version of VirtualBox? The current version is 6.1.26.
He isn't using a 2006 version of VirtualBox. That is the way it is always looks in a inxi -Fxxxrz report of Mint.
I suspect that the date has more to do with VirtualBox than Mint..
Mobo: Oracle model: VirtualBox v: 1.2 serial: <filter> BIOS: innotek v: VirtualBox date: 12/01/2006
windyweather I am running various distributions of guest Mints under a Mint host.
Your 'bug' has never happened on any of my machines despite often kernel updates. a restart has always been immediate.

Return to “Installation & Boot”