Migrate Dual Boot Image to larger SSD on MacBookAir

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
boxereighty
Level 2
Level 2

Migrate Dual Boot Image to larger SSD on MacBookAir

Post by boxereighty »

I have been running a dual boot OSX (High Sierra) and Mint 19.3 on a Macbook Air Model 6.1(11 inch, Mid 2013) trouble free for the last 5 years. The only problem is the hard drive is only 120gb and needs to be bigger. With SSD prices becoming reasonable and the hardware still easy enough to upgrade on this Macbook I'm looking for ideas on migrating the image so I can simply increase the partition size on the Linux partition without having to accomplish all the steps to set up another dual boot. Ir has worked exactly as planned and I really don't want to screw it up. it's been long enough since initial installation that I'm afraid it will take another round of research/trial/error to get it back to where it is now. It seems to me it would be a better plan to migrate what I have and simply enlarge partitions on a new, larger SSD.

Any ideas or recommendations?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Migrate Dual Boot Image to larger SSD on MacBookAir

Post by mikeflan »

I recommend taking a Timeshift snapshot and backing up your data. Then live boot Foxclone, which was previously installed to a USB drive. Then take a whole disk image of the olf drive (but you must have a place to install the about 60 GB image directory). Then install the new drive, live boot Foxclone, and restore the disk image to the new drive. Then live boot your install USB / DVD, run GParted, and expand the largest partition on the new drive to take up all the disk space. Then try to boot into your new system.
boxereighty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by boxereighty »

I never heard of FoxClone so that's a good point out. The drive that's to be cloned onto the larger SSD has OSX, FAT32, and EXT4 partitions. I guess I'll figure it out when I get into the process but does that pose any potential problem with cloning the drive? Any special considerations? The good news is that since the current drive is so small there is very little data, just programs, on the partitions. But I still want it to work as currently and maybe without constant need for the right USB drive to provide data.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

When you clone it will wipe the destination drive
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
boxereighty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by boxereighty »

Yes, the destination drive will be wiped and that's fine since it's a new drive bought for this specific purpose. My question is whether it matters how the new destination drive will be prepared? I suppose it's explained in FoxClone. Looks like a good program but I just haven't studied the details yet. The point out to FoxClone is the real point and I'll start down that path.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

You don't need to do anything to prepare the destination drive, as I said, whatever is there gets overwritten.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

The drive that's to be cloned onto the larger SSD has OSX, FAT32, and EXT4 partitions. I guess I'll figure it out when I get into the process but does that pose any potential problem with cloning the drive? Any special considerations?
No special considerations that I know of. It will just write the image exactly as it was. The only hard part that I know of after that is expanding some of the partitions to take up the extra space. That can be tricky, and I suspect I would have some difficulty doing it. I believe it will be done with GParted from a live boot.

Return to “Installation & Boot”