Changed to login without password, now locked out! Help!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cannabuster
Level 1
Level 1

Changed to login without password, now locked out! Help!

Post by Cannabuster »

Good Day Everyone,

Just installed the latest version of Mint on our Mac Mini as the OS to get away from Apple, Anyways, in giving my wife the tour, she asked if she could just login without a PW. Knowing the security risks I did this for her. After watching a YouTube tutorial, I went into the User Group Screen and checked the nopassedlogin option in groupsand saved it. Upon restarting, I click on login and it just bounces back and does nothing. This was the ONLY user so I can't login under a different user and change it back.

Does anyone have a solution for this? I just downloaded 860 photos from her phone last night and if we need to reinstall LM that would be horrible. Is there some trick or alternate boot login to change this setting back? I am a NOVICE when it comes to linux, Cmd prompts and all the lingo.

Appreciate your time and help!

Thank you!
Andy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Changed to login without password, now locked out! Help!

Post by xenopeek »

Try the following:
  1. At the login screen press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to the first virtual console, a full screen terminal
  2. Log in here with username and password of the account
  3. Then remove the account from the nopassedlogin group with this command:
    sudo gpasswd -d username nopassedlogin
    Where you replace "username" with the username. This will prompt you once more to provide your password and then acknowledge the group is removed from the user.
  4. Type exit to leave the virtual console
  5. Now press Ctrl+Alt+F7 (sometimes Ctrl+Alt+F8) to go back to the login screen and try logging in again
Possibly something else was done on the account that is causing a login loop. If you still get kicked back the login screen after entering the password we can figure that out next.

Return to “Installation & Boot”