cant boot to mint after windows update

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shinmarwan
Level 1
Level 1

cant boot to mint after windows update

Post by shinmarwan »

i have a laptop with dual boot ( windwos 10 and linux mint 20 cinnamon )
both OS are installed on ssd and the other hdd is for storage
after a huge windows 10 update when trying to restart it shows error
"unexpected return from initial read : volume corrupt , buffersize 1000
failed to load image \efi\ubunto\grubx64.efi: volume corrupt
start-image return volume corrupt "

i dont know what the hell happened and my laptop boot to windows automatically after this error . i have linux mint iso on a usb but dont know how to repair the OS

any help is appreciated
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Re: cant boot to mint after windows update

Post by motoryzen »

shinmarwan wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:07 pm i have a laptop with dual boot ( windwos 10 and linux mint 20 cinnamon )
both OS are installed on ssd and the other hdd is for storage
after a huge windows 10 update when trying to restart it shows error
"unexpected return from initial read : volume corrupt , buffersize 1000
failed to load image \efi\ubunto\grubx64.efi: volume corrupt
start-image return volume corrupt "

i dont know what the hell happened and my laptop boot to windows automatically after this error . i have linux mint iso on a usb but dont know how to repair the OS

any help is appreciated
This is why I always tell new Linux users never to install any Linux distro into the same physical storage drive that Windows is already in. There are just too many variables to keep up with and even..then it doesn't guarantee any later accumulative Windows update won't cause problems just like this one. Windows boot loader and Linux Grub were never, still don't, and probably never will play nicely together. One always overwrites the other one way or another.

I've heard that there is a way to sudo apt update grub that might fix it, but I have forgotten how off hand other than possibly booting from a Linux Mint 20 installation thumb drive into a live environment and perhaps accessing the dual-booted drive within that live environment. However, I'm not a dual booting expert. I recommend you not take my word for that exact path and wait to see/hear from more experienced Linux veterans like SMG, KadaitchaMan, and any other of the 8+ who regularly are active on this site.

However, I found this https://askubuntu.com/questions/1122261 ... me-corrupt Again..I recommend you wait on a more experienced Linux vet ( who is also experienced at dealing with dual boot win and Linux problems) before trying any of it. *Shrugs*..I just wanted to try offer something here.

Bide your time, and if needs be try to take a short breather from dealing with this problem if you don't see a response from any of them this evening. *shrugs* Hard to tell sometimes who is a day shift worker and who is night or evening shift sometimes. Just be patient and try to remain calm :)
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

motoryzen wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:36 pm
This is why I always tell new Linux users never to install any Linux distro into the same physical storage drive that Windows is already in.
Yes--if that is possible, and install grub on the Linux drive and put that drive at the top of the boot order in bios.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

all41 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:58 pm
motoryzen wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:36 pm
This is why I always tell new Linux users never to install any Linux distro into the same physical storage drive that Windows is already in.
Yes--if that is possible, and install grub on the Linux drive and put that drive at the top of the boot order in bios.
Sounds sensible enough to me. Regardless, I never have both Windows and Linux drives connected ( as far as that contain both OS world's installed into them) while booting into either. I always physically disconnect one while booting into the other. But yeah...I get why some people don't want to do it my way, especially if it's a laptop..thus very tedious to deal with, but I've been down those bee hives before. Not fun.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I have system with a hot-swap tray on the front panel that will accept both 3.5 and 2.5 drives directly to the sata bus.
It's ideal for keeping OSs separate but I just use it for swapping data storage.
RubyStone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RubyStone »

I have a laptop that has two drive bays so I installed a drive in each and used the boot menu (F12 in my case) at post so I could choose the drive I want to boot from. Most laptops have this option - but with newer ones you have to be fast.

With that same method you could also boot to usb drive if that works.

Hope this helpful.
shinmarwan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shinmarwan »

so i have to install each os on a different drive ? like 2 hard disks ?
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

You don't have to but it's the only way to guarantee that Win10 doesn't mess with any Linux boot.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I dual boot my desktop off a single M.2 drive. I've not had any problems, but...
  • I don't use win very often and have turned off auto updates. Win updates happen at a time of my choosing.
  • More importantly I make sure I have a full image backup of the drive so if win does something nasty...
If you had an image backup of your drive you could have restored your EFI partition and all would be well for both mint and win (assuming that win hasn't done something stupid like changing the UUID of its boot partition).

Given where you are, boot-repair is your easiest option, think there is a copy on the mint install iso, so boot from that. Failing that this may help:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/831216/ ... -partition
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

shinmarwan wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:38 pm so i have to install each os on a different drive ? like 2 hard disks ?
Yes--this is the holy grail if you must have Windows. Then choose the boot device in bios.

But for more convenience install grub on the same drive with Linux (not the Win drive), and set that drive to
be at the top of your bios boot order.

Return to “Installation & Boot”