Dual boot issues

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jackiebean2017
Level 1
Level 1

Dual boot issues

Post by jackiebean2017 »

I recently purchased a brand new Jingsha x79 motherboard and installed it in an older but serviceable Cooler Master Centurion 534 case. And although it took a while to figure out wire management and wake the board from it's slumber, I got it working. Then I installed a brand new OEM copy of Windows 10. Everything went smoothly. Next I started the installation of Linux mint, which I've left fresh with no additional programs. My issue is that I can't seem to get Grub working. I can go in BIOS and switch boot order to boot into either Linux or Windows, but don't have the Grub menu to decide at boot. So while it works, it's very tedious. I've tried to reinstall Grub, doesn't work. And I came across a tip that says to use windows to point the boot options to Grub but I don't seem to have the *.EFI file, and I don't know what it is in Linux mint, but Ubuntu users seem to think it's named identical with the same directory structure even though it's not the same. And I also tried this command

"\efibootmgr"

Which returned

"EFI variables not supported on this system"

Because apparently I didn't know that I had to shut off secure boot in BIOS

So the question is, after all this, do I need to reinstall Linux mint now that I've figured out how to shut off secure boot? Or is there another fix? Reinstalling Linux mint won't hurt as much as reinstalling windows 10.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jackiebean2017
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dual boot issues

Post by jackiebean2017 »

Not resurrect5ing this thread, however i did figure out how to get it to dual boot by reinstalling, so while it's not completely solved, that part is now working, however, it is no longer allowing the DVD drive to boot anything. And this is after all my DVD drives were successfully recognized in bios before i reinstalled Linux, and each one was also given a second entry in the boot order menu as a UEFI boot device. now since I've reinstalled Linux Mint, they are recognized and given an entry, but because they no longer have any UEFI entry, they refuse to boot at all from any DVD except one DVD drive, when any of them booted from DVD/CD before. this is confusing behavior.

I'm not sure if anything I've changed in the hardware configuration could have something to do with it. the board has one NVMe slot, and six SATA slots, one is what i use for the DVD drive, and I'm using a PATA to SATA adapter card so it runs through the SATA, which has always worked for any of the drives. Then i recently purchased a new Seagate HDD which is on another SATA drive connection, but that's all I've done since building this system except install windows and Linux. There are only 3 drives, and 6 channels. there's no way its capped out, like how older systems used to do with too many IDE drives.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Dual boot issues

Post by AndyMH »

What are you trying to boot from DVD? It maybe that whatever ISO you burned to DVD is not capable of booting in UEFI mode.

No idea what settings are in your BIOS, if there is a setting for CSM (compatibility support mode) enable it and try booting from DVD again (but not using the UEFI entry in BIOS for the DVD).
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Installation & Boot”