No Dual Boot Display

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tosim
Level 2
Level 2

No Dual Boot Display

Post by tosim »

Yesterday, using gparted, wiped my hdd completely, repartitioned, and installed Win10Pro on sda1,MiscBU's on sda2, Mint20.2 on sda3, Extended part on sda4,/Home on sda6, swap on sda5. (Please see attachment below; ss of gparted.) However whenever I boot--up, it boots right into Mint; no display of grub menu, as always in past. I'm sure I must have forgotten to do something in gparted with the Win10 install, but do not know what. I looked into the Mint Install section of manual, but they only gave directions if Mint didn't display during dual boot.
partitions.png
partitions.png (13.13 KiB) Viewed 391 times

Any, and all help, will be gratefully appreciated. Thank you.
Update: While transferring folder from an external drive to (what I thought was), my /Home, on a separate partition,sda6(like it always was in previous versions), turns out it was transferring the files to the Home folder on partition,sda3(Mint install).
Do I have to completely wipe the hdd and start over from scratch or what? PLEASE HELP!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Re: No Dual Boot Display

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

1)In order to see grub menu on booting you will need first to run sudo update-grub and reboot. If it doesn't show grub menu when restarting, you will need to make some changes in /etc/default/grub file. Post back following codes results.

Code: Select all

cat /etc/default/grub
os-prober
2)Looks like (see Mount Point for that partition in last image) you did not mount sda6 as /home on installing (with Something else ... option> select sda6>click on Change...). Now your personal files and folder (Documents, Music, Downloads,...and configs) are in /home/your_user directory inside root partition (sda3). It is easy to say and maybe recommended to just copy your personal Data to a external media and reinstall, but you don't need to reinstall.
You can move /home directory to that seperated partition. Sure there will be another How to in forum, but only I can find this one to make it from Linux Live. Any way it is not dificult to do it from Mint installed, see thIs post from rene and notice:
-you will need to replace sdb1 with sda6 and vegvsr with your_user in codes .

-point 7 will destroy all data in sda6 and maybe is not necessary in your case as sda6 is already Ext.4 formated and can get UUID with blkid

-need to create the whole line in fstab as per point 8 (UUID=<noted number from above> /home ext4 defaults 0 2).
If need detailed help post back

Code: Select all

sudo blkid 
cat /etc/fstab
Of course, even you don't need to do that if setting up sda6 as a Data partition. :wink:
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:10 am, edited 8 times in total.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
tosim
Level 2
Level 2

Re: No Dual Boot Display

Post by tosim »

Thank you so very much for the detailed answer. Will get to it this coming week.
tosim
Level 2
Level 2

Solved! Re: No Dual Boot Display

Post by tosim »

What I finally did, yesterday,was, using gparted, was to wipe the hdd completely, install Win10Pro, then Mint20.2. I did the repartitioning
using the "something else" on the Mint DVD, and MADE SURE that for my (separate) Home partition, I created the /home mount point. All is now working fine.
gparted.png

Return to “Installation & Boot”