Just did the update to 20.2, from 20.1 and having all kinds of problems

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bikrgran
Level 3
Level 3

Just did the update to 20.2, from 20.1 and having all kinds of problems

Post by bikrgran »

Greetings from S Texas. I did the update manager update from 20.1 to 20.2. I seem to be having quite a few problems. Firefox, especially doesn't seem to be working right, nor the download helper in FF. I had downloaded Brave before doing all this, and it seems to be working OK, but doesn't have a download helper extension, that I can find. I did a Timeshift backup before starting, so what I'm wondering is, do I just back back up to 20.1? Do I uninstall FF and reinstall that? Is there a download helper extension for Brave? So many options and I'm pulling my hair out. Are there changes in the repositories that I've missed? I love my Mint, but I'm afraid I'm not very savy on the nitty-gritty of it.
Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Just did the update to 20.2, from 20.1 and having all kinds of problems

Post by SMG »

bikrgran wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:55 pm I did the update manager update from 20.1 to 20.2. I seem to be having quite a few problems. Firefox, especially doesn't seem to be working right, nor the download helper in FF.
If you have a snapshot of the system when it was working, then, yes, you can restore to it.

I do not recall the Mint upgrade including an upgraded Firefox, but it did update a while ago. You might want to selectively do upgrades instead of letting everything upgrade at once. Make sure to do the upgrade through Update Manager and check to see what is included in the list before updating. You can de-select individual updates. Or right-click them and put them on hold.

Firefox has made a number of changes recently. It is possible that download helper you had before may no longer work with the newest Firefox version.

Edited to correct typo.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
bikrgran
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bikrgran »

Some things are better, but for some reason, the Peferred Apps function does not open. I didn't revert back, as some things seemed to correct themselves, but this one has not. This is all so weird.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

bikrgran wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:05 amSome things are better, but for some reason, the Preferred Apps function does not open.
I have not heard of anyone having issue with that particular app. I would suggest to uninstall and re-install it, but I do not know its package name.

Maybe someone else will know and be able to give you the command to try doing that.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

SMG wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:29 pm I would suggest to uninstall and re-install it, but I do not know its package name.

Maybe someone else will know and be able to give you the command to try doing that.
The command to launch Preferred Applications in Cinnamon is cinnamon-settings default, and in MATE is mate-default-applications-properties, but neither of them are removable / installable as individual packages. (as far as I can tell, OK it appears in MATE uninstall is not greyed out, but how to get it back?)

They are instead part of larger packages, in Cinnamon, it's part of cinnamon-settings https://www.mankier.com/1/cinnamon-settings

In MATE, it's a part of mate-conrtol-center

My "gut feeling" tells me it's probably a bad idea to remove cinnamon-settings, because it's such a large part of the system.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

bikrgran will have to let us know what desktop he/she is using.

Return to “Installation & Boot”