Cannot install Mint cinnamon or edge

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheDancingJesus
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot install Mint cinnamon or edge

Post by TheDancingJesus »

Dual Boot with Windows 10 (I need to keep windows 10 sadly)
so I tried Mint Cinnamon 20.2, 20.1, and 20.2 Edge. In that order. None would Complete the install. Edge got closest to finish, but on the last step it died. Each errors a bit differently, but they all have the same result. The computer freezes, then restarts on it's own after ~30sec.
If I try to run Mint after the failed install, the computer will freeze and reboot before even loading into Mint 3/4 times, 1/4 times it will load into Mint frozen and reboot thereafter. Once this happens I wipe my partition and try again fresh. Same results. Tested multiple times for each. Oh it also seems to really dislike my 4k monitor so I swapped to my old 1080p and all the installs seem happier.
Am I just unable to use Mint?
Here's my new comp:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SKYTECH-CHRONOS
System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor, 3801 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P4.10, 6/23/2021
SMBIOS Version 3.2
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASRock
BaseBoard Product X570 Phantom Gaming 4
BaseBoard Version
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.1151"
User Name
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 28.0 GB
Total Virtual Memory 36.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 30.8 GB
Page File Space 4.75 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

The only thing I can think to do, which I cannot do without a lot of hand holding, is to do verify your ISO image "https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... erify.html"
Which I looked into. Once I get ./configure I'm lost. Oh at the VERY BOTTOM of gnupg it describes how I need to CD to the files then I can run those operations....but seriously we have to do this manually at this point? Just to make a good install disk? Like WHAT? This seems ridiculous. No one EVER mentioned ANYTHING to this level for just an install.
When looking up "installing Linux" literally EVERY video said how fast and easy it was and LAUGHED at the people who said "Yeah linux is nice if you don't value your time." I'm not an expert but this is beginning to seem like they are correct, sadly. I've wanted to be free from Windows all my life.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Cannot install Mint cinnamon or edge

Post by JoeFootball »

TheDancingJesus wrote: ... but seriously we have to do this manually at this point? Just to make a good install disk? Like WHAT? This seems ridiculous. No one EVER mentioned ANYTHING to this level for just an install.
Perhaps you'd be more comfortable doing so with Windows ...

How to verify the ISO image on Windows

Return to “Installation & Boot”